Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> on 2005/08/19 09:55:07 UTC

log4j 1.2.12 on JDK 1.[2|3|4|5]

As you can tell, been busy today.  In the current state, log4j should
build and pass all unit tests on JDK 1.2-5 (that is building and
running on same JDK, haven't tested crosses yet).  JDK 1.2 will
require you to rebuild Ant 1.6.5 first since it suffers from the same
issue that we have been facing.  Prior to todays changes, the unit
tests would have failed to run on JDK 1.3 (new serialization tests)
and JDK 1.2 (stack trace patterns).

I should be able to run the unit tests on JDK 1.1 using a JDK 1.2
build, though compiling on JDK 1.1 is unlikely to happen.  I was able
to build Ant 1.5.4 on JDK 1.1 which is close enough to run tests/
build.xml when you set all the dependencies in CLASSPATH since the
settings in build.properties is not effective.  However, it would
always end with a "Cannot find java/lang/Threads" on the first test.
I have been able to manually run one of the tests if I load all the
dependencies in the CLASSPATH environment variable.  If you use -
classpath, it appears to not locate the core JDK classes which is
likely a long forgotten feature/bug on JDK 1.1.

I've modified build.properties.sample to correspond with the
currently available best fits for JDK 1.2.  I've kept close to the
previous builds.properties.sample's layout.  All the supporting jars
are expected to be off of the "/java" directory.  I've been using the
following files:

Apache:

crimson-1.1.3-bin.zip
jakarta-oro-2.0.8.zip (only used in tests)

Sun:

jaf-1_0_2-upd.zip
javamail-1_3_2.zip
jms-1_1-fr-apidocs.zip
jmx-1_2_1-ri.zip
jndi-1_2_1.zip

SourceForge:

junit3.8.1.zip (only used in tests)

All the files are unzip'd using jar xf in the directory with the
exception of jndi-1_2_1.zip which is expanded using:

mkdir jndi-1_2_1
cd jndi-1_2_1
jar xf ../jndi-1_2_1.zip

With that al you should have to do is check out logging-site beside
logging-log4j and copy build.properties.sample to build.properties
and run "ant release".  "ant release" forces a stricter build
environment and may eventually check the version of compiler,
platform, etc.

I used crimson-1.1.3 since it is a closer approximation to JAXP 1.1.
A current xml-commons-apis.jar/xml-apis.jar/xmlParsersApis.jar would
contain interfaces that weren't in JAXP 1.1.  crimson.jar contains
both the equivalent of jaxp.jar and crimson.jar from JAXP 1.1, but
since they have been resplit in Xerces-J (to xml-apis.jar/
xmlParserApis.jar and xercesImpl.jar), I've been both the
jaxp.parser.jar and jaxp.jaxp.jar properties.

Re: log4j 1.2.12 on JDK 1.[2|3|4|5]

Posted by Endre Stølsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>.
| If you use -classpath, it appears to not locate the core JDK
| classes which is likely a long forgotten feature/bug on JDK 1.1.

You -had- to set the classpath on those, including the rt.jar. Feature.

It is the later ones that find the bootclasspath itself. That's why a
"bootclasspath" param was introduced, so that you could -override- this
autolocating.

Endre.