Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Hallvard Lid <ha...@nrk.no> on 2005/07/21 14:14:37 UTC

apache2.0.54 + 2 tomcat 5.0.28 + jk 1.2.14

I've got this setup working on my testserver(win2003), the apache
answers on port 80 and talks to the two tomcats through the jk-connector
on some other ports. The problem is that the tomcat servers have some
bad code in them and from time to time they just hang for a while eating
cpu. Earlier we countered this bad programming with a cheap hack that
timed the loading of an index.jsp and killed the prosess. Now on the
other hand it is hard to tell which server that is causing trouble
because of the transparancy in the setup.

The connector(jk) has some advanced options that probably are meant for
this kind of situation, but I can't seem to find any way to actually do
something(other than ignore the lost server in the loadbalancer). Is
there any way to channel a request through the apache server and onto a
specific tomcat? Or any other aproach to make apache(or windows) restart
the tomcat that goes haywire.

The only real good solution is ofcourse to find the source of the
problem in the java-code on the tomcats, but that ofcourse takes time
and money...

Hallvard Lid