Posted to j-users@xalan.apache.org by Vishwajit Pantvaidya <pa...@hotmail.com> on 2004/02/13 00:16:48 UTC

Questions about parser pluggability and using different xerces versions

Hello,

A question about xalan java (I am using xalan java 2.0.0). The release notes
say the following: "The Xalan-Java version 2.0.0 has been tested with
Xerces-Java version 1.2.3. The Xalan-Java version 2.0.0 download from
xml.apache.org includes xerces.jar from Xerces-Java version
1.2.3....Important You may experience unpredictable anomalies if your Xalan
and Xerces builds are not in synch. If you download an update to Xalan,
check the release notes to determine which version of Xerces you should
use.". So it appears that it is not recommended to use a xerces version
other than 1.2.3 with xalan 2.0.0.

At the same time, the doc talks about pluggability of other parsers in the
section "Plugging in a Transformer and XML parser".

My question is: If I can plugin other parsers, why is it a problem to plugin
a different xerces version? Also, if xalan internally uses standard
interfaces (like JAXP) to call the parser, I would presume that any
conformant parser would work.

Please help in understanding this apparent anomaly.

Create your own personal Web page with the info you use most, at My MSN.