Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Steve Short <ss...@postx.com> on 2002/09/22 01:08:26 UTC

Cornerstone Component-Service Change

Hi folks,

I've looked at updating James to use the service classes instead of the
component classes, as has been suggested recently, and found that
Cornerstone classes Store and RepositoryManager also needed updating.
I've done the changes locally, but I realise you may not be ready for
this change for compatibility reasons.  So the question is - do you want
these changes now or would you prefer an alternative approach?

Cheers
Steve

Re: Cornerstone Component-Service Change

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
> Anyways the Store/Repo classes only exist in Cornerstone for benefit of James.

I have an application that makes use of 'em too. Not wrt e-mail though.

> If you like you can move them into James CVS and I will deprecate and then
> remove them from Cornerstone.

I'd like to keep 'em where they are =)

I have no problems with moving to Service though as phoenix will handle
that gracefully ;)

cheers,

Leo

Re: Cornerstone Component-Service Change

Posted by Paul Hammant <pa...@yahoo.com>.
> Anyways the Store/Repo classes only exist in Cornerstone for benefit of James.
> If you like you can move them into James CVS and I will deprecate and then
> remove them from Cornerstone.

Jesktop uses them too.

- Paul

Re: Cornerstone Component-Service Change

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 22 Sep 2002 09:08, Steve Short wrote:
> I've looked at updating James to use the service classes instead of the
> component classes, as has been suggested recently, and found that
> Cornerstone classes Store and RepositoryManager also needed updating.
> I've done the changes locally, but I realise you may not be ready for
> this change for compatibility reasons.  So the question is - do you want
> these changes now or would you prefer an alternative approach?

You can update them aswell. However I would highly recomend that you only use
those classes for backwards compatability reasons. The implementations have
some issues when the order of repository creation changes. In some cases you
can get out of sync.

Ages ago I suggested that James migrate to using a standard mail store format
such as http://cr.yp.to/proto/maildir.html or MBox format. (Or one of the
other common ones). My personal favourite is maildir as it scales very well
on almost all modern filesystems (including distributed ones).

Anyways if you go this route you may want to contact David on
weitzman_d@hotmail.com who was looking at something similar.

Anyways the Store/Repo classes only exist in Cornerstone for benefit of James.
If you like you can move them into James CVS and I will deprecate and then
remove them from Cornerstone.

But I would love to see a maildir store used instead ;)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
He strains to hear a whisper who refuses to hear a shout.