Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Sachin Lale <sa...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/30 17:11:37 UTC

Cordova and Android 4.4 (KitKat)

Hello,
I am developing app using Cordova 3.5 and Android 4.0.3. The app is related
to zooming,panning,rotating image with gesture by transform css. But this
is having a bit performance issue while translating image. The image
translate animation looks bit jerky. After searching a while i found the
requestAnimationFrame will solve the problem and its available in Android
4.4. But there is no documentation on saying Cordova 3.5 supports Android
4.4 Chromium Webview. If it does not then do i have to use some plugin for
it or ther is migration path available.

Best regards,
Sachin

Re: Cordova and Android 4.4 (KitKat)

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
From
http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.5.0/guide_platforms_android_index.md.html#Android%20Platform%20Guide
"Cordova supports Android 2.3.x (Gingerbread, starting with Android API
level 10) and 4.x" this includes Android 4.4

With Cordova when you run your App on Android the WebView used is the one
provided by the "Operating System".
This means that your Cordova App running on a device with Android 4.0.3
will be using a WebView with version 4.0.3, when the same App is running on
a device with Android 4.4 the webview will be 4.4 and so on.

Cordova currently doesn't provide a WebView, this is provided by Android.
So in your case your Cordova App should not show problems when running on
Android 4.4, but it will show problems in Android 4.0.3. Cordova will not
provide a 4.4 WebView on the device running 4.0.3 by "Magic" :-)

If you have a specific use case, and think there is problem with Cordova
and Android 4.4 WebView please open a bug report in our system
http://issues.cordova.io

By the way this is a mailing list for contributors, you might get faster
turnaround on this type of questions if you use one of the user forums like
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/cordova
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/phonegap

--Carlos

--