Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/21 06:23:16 UTC

Re: svn commit: r892554 - in /tomcat/tc6.0.x/trunk: ./ STATUS.txt java/org/apache/catalina/realm/JNDIRealm.java webapps/docs/changelog.xml webapps/docs/config/realm.xml

2009/12/20 Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>:
> Hi Mark, Konstantin and everyone else,
>
> On 20.12.2009 03:37, markt@apache.org wrote:
>>
>> Add support for a connectionTimeout attribute to the JNDIRealm
>
> I know I voted fror it, but when going through the commits again I wondered
> whether we should call is connectTimeout instead of connectionTimeout. In
> fact is is a timeout for the connect phase and once the connection is
> established the timeout has no more functionality. connectionTimeout might
> suggest something like an idle timeout or a read timeout or a how long a
> connection can be used thing. Since idle and read timeouts exist in the JDK
> LDAP pool implementation and might be added as future enhancements, it might
> be clearer to name the new attribute "connectTimeout" instead of
> "connectionTimeout".
>
> Comments?

Oh, so there are
com.sun.jndi.ldap.connect.timeout (this property)
com.sun.jndi.ldap.connect.pool.timeout
com.sun.jndi.ldap.read.timeout
// http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/jndi/jndi-ldap.html

I like the current name, "connectionTimeout".  It looks well among
other connectionXXX attributes there. This configuration attribute is
important, because JNDIRealm supports alternateURL.

>From the language point of view, though I am not UK or US resident, I
think that the current name is better. E.g. from this phrase in the
above mentioned Sun document:
"The value of this property is the string representation of an integer
representing the connection timeout in milliseconds"

I know that there is a precedent of
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/net/URLConnection.html#setConnectTimeout%28int%29

but there is also
http://hc.apache.org/httpclient-3.x/apidocs/org/apache/commons/httpclient/params/HttpConnectionParams.html#setConnectionTimeout%28int%29

Thus I slightly prefer to keep the current name.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko