Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Sam Washburn <sw...@inovationeering.com> on 2008/05/22 05:41:42 UTC

BUG: svn out of sync.. but says its not

Hello list,

I'm sending this to the user list first just to make sure I'm not missing
something foolish.

I have two machines dev and prod.  On dev, "svn stat Layouts" returns
nothing. On prod, "svn stat Layouts" also returns nothing. But while trying
to track down a really strange bug, I found that the two contain different
files.  prod contains an older file, but when I "svn update Layouts" on
either machine, they *both* say At revision 120.

I then did an "svn cat" on the file in question and the repo has the old
copy.  I know I could just copy out that file, get a fresh checkout and
check back in, but I'm afraid that there might be more files I don't know
about.

I thought about stripping out the .svn dirs and re-integrating, but afaik,
that's a nightmare.

Does anyone have an idea what's going on and how to fix it?  I have some
tars of the Layouts dir from each box if needed.

Thanks in advance!

Sam

RE: BUG: svn out of sync.. but says its not

Posted by Sam Washburn <sw...@inovationeering.com>.
Thanks for all your help.  I've posted a feature request on the dev list.

On May 23, 2008, at 22:27, Sam Washburn wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> That didn't work, but adding a space somewhere in the file did.  If
>>> I remove
>>> the space, svn again says that its not been changed, even though
>>> the files
>>> are completely different.  weird huh?
>>
>> That says to me that the pristine copy of the file in .svn/text-base
>> got inadvertently modified too. Maybe you used a batch-modification
>> tool that didn't know not to go messing with the contents of the .svn
>> directories? The simplest way to fix this is to check out a new
>> working copy, manually copy over your changed files from the broken
>> working copy, then discard the broken working copy and use the new
>> one.
>
> I see.  I'm honestly not sure if this has happened as the faulty
> commit
> happened sometime in the past.  We really don't have any strange
> tools that
> copy or build since its a web platform.
>
> So, there is no way to rebuild the pristine copy from the svn
> command line?
> Because, if not, I think that might be a nice feature to add to
> subversion.
> A quick "svn rebuild" seems a lot nicer than checkout and copy in
> the old
> changes.
>
> If there's not a way to do this from the svn command line, I'll
> write it up
> as a feature request. :)

There is no way to rebuild the .svn directory in Subversion 1.4.x or
earlier. I'm not sure if this has been added to 1.5. This may be the
"--force" flag to the checkout command, added in 1.5.

Re: BUG: svn out of sync.. but says its not

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Sam Washburn <sw...@inovationeering.com>.
I see.  I'm honestly not sure if this has happened as the faulty commit
happened sometime in the past.  We really don't have any strange tools that
copy or build since its a web platform.

So, there is no way to rebuild the pristine copy from the svn command line?
Because, if not, I think that might be a nice feature to add to subversion.
A quick "svn rebuild" seems a lot nicer than checkout and copy in the old
changes.

If there's not a way to do this from the svn command line, I'll write it up
as a feature request. :)

Thanks for all the help.

Sam

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On May 23, 2008, at 22:03, Sam Washburn wrote:

> As for the 'pristine' copy, I'm not sure how to find that.  I
> looked in the
> .svn directory and didn't find anything called 'pristine'.  Is it
> called
> something else?

It's called "text-base".

RE: BUG: svn out of sync.. but says its not

Posted by Sam Washburn <sw...@inovationeering.com>.
The best I can tell the systems have been in sync time wise.  They all run
some version of NTP and I just checked them and they are accurate to each
other within a second.

As for the 'pristine' copy, I'm not sure how to find that.  I looked in the
.svn directory and didn't find anything called 'pristine'.  Is it called
something else?

Thanks,
Sam

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

RE: BUG: svn out of sync.. but says its not

Posted by Sam Washburn <sw...@inovationeering.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.