Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by David Hawthorne <dh...@3crowd.com> on 2010/10/20 20:55:37 UTC

memory leak

We experienced a memory leak in qpidd that resulted in the daemon crashing.  Memory utilization grew over a roughly 24-hour period before it finally reached the 32-bit 2G limit.  Utilization is fairly light, it only does a few hundred messages a minute.  Messages are very small, under 100 bytes (payload + routing key) each.  All messages are done on topic queues on 3 exchanges.  No XML or anything fancy, just a very simple pub-sub with no message persistence.

Error messages in the logs show std::bad_alloc being thrown for allocations of sizes 320 (shows up once at the beginning of the error messages) and 501 (shows up several times thereafter until the crash).

Unfortunately, I don't have any other data to give, but here's a graph showing the allocation behavior:

Re: memory leak

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On 10/20/2010 02:55 PM, David Hawthorne wrote:
> We experienced a memory leak in qpidd that resulted in the daemon crashing.  Memory utilization grew over a roughly 24-hour period before it finally reached the 32-bit 2G limit.  Utilization is fairly light, it only does a few hundred messages a minute.  Messages are very small, under 100 bytes (payload + routing key) each.  All messages are done on topic queues on 3 exchanges.  No XML or anything fancy, just a very simple pub-sub with no message persistence.
>
> Error messages in the logs show std::bad_alloc being thrown for allocations of sizes 320 (shows up once at the beginning of the error messages) and 501 (shows up several times thereafter until the crash).
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have any other data to give, but here's a graph showing the allocation behavior:

Can you create a JIRA at https://issues.apache.org/jira to track this issue.
Please include:
- steps to reproduce the issue, ideally with code or if you can reproduce it
with standard test clients like qpid-send/qpid-receive.
- version of qpid: if it's a trunk build then the SVN revision number.
- anything else that might be useful (your graph wasn't attached to the email)

Assign it to me for now, I'll make sure someone gets to it - any  volunteers?

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org