Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Costin Manolache <co...@eng.sun.com> on 2000/04/04 21:30:36 UTC

Re: WAR File problem - Don't cut final version until fixe

Because the directory timestamp will not change if a file inside was changed.

The most common ( IMHO ) usage is for people to deploy an app and then customize
it ( change web.xml, pages, etc).

It's also something that belongs to the deployment tool - it will know for sure if
you want to update, delete or deploy. No need to spend code guessing in tomcat when
the deploy tool will have the real knowledge.

Jonathan Pierce wrote:

> Why can't we check the date on the war file when tomcat starts up, and delete
> any corresponding expanded directories if the war file is newer than it was when
> the directory was last expanded. This would not be expensive, since it only
> needs to happen once when Tomcat is restarted.
>
> The deploy tool that I use is Microsoft Frontpage, which is not designed to
> delete files automatically in the destination that are missing in the source. It
> would be better if Tomcat could clean up after itself.

I don't undestand - tomcat is just auto-deploying all war files. It doesn't have
what to
clean - after you deploy the app is available until you remove it ( by removing the
directory - until we have a deploy tool).

You can edit files in the "deployed" directory or customize ( parameters in web.xml,
like db connection urls, etc)

I think the current behavior has more advantages than guessing and expanding the
war file again.

It's something that will be resolved by a deploy tool - I would rather spend the
time writing that instead of adding strange guessing to tomcat.

Costin