Posted to user@commons.apache.org by vivek sar <vi...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/24 21:37:55 UTC

Connection not getting released to pool .. ORA-01453 error

Hi,

 Using,
           torque-3.1.jar, commons-dbcp-1.2.1.jar, commons-collections-3.1.jar

 I am having this weird problem. In case an "insert" query fails
(could be for any reason) in my case it is because of bad blocks on
db, the subsequent query (like a "select" statement) gives me,
      "ORA- 01453 - Set Transaction must be the first statement"

error message. Once I get this exception the connection associated
with this error gets frozen - it never gets released to the connection
pool. I've configured maxActive to be 20 connections, so after 20 of
these "ORA-01453" messages my application freezes and all other tasks
just keep waiting for the connection indefinitely.

I am using "SharedPoolDataSource" dbcp connection pool.

 I am not using Transaction explicitly in my code. To get connection I use,

     Torque.getConnection("xxxx");

I am not sure if this is a bug in torque or dbcp. On my code I don't
see any problem as I've the finally block where I close the connection
before exiting the method.

Does anyone has any experience with this ?

Thanks in advance.

-vivek

Re: Connection not getting released to pool .. ORA-01453 error

Posted by Sandy McArthur <sa...@apache.org>.
Hrm, sorry. I've never really used Oracle and I'm not familiar with it
and Dbcp. Hopefully someone else can help you.

On 3/29/06, vivek sar <vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I don't have stack trace for the dbcp itself, but here is what I get
> in my application log,
>
>      SQLException ORA-01555: snapshot too old: rollback segment
> number 9 with name "_SYSSMU9$" too small
>
> TorqueException: ORA-01453: SET TRANSACTION must be first statement of
> transaction
>
> Basically, after any insert failure (it could be any sqlexception) I
> get ORA-01453 and that freezes the connection.
>
> Thanks,
> -vivek
>

> On 3/24/06, Sandy McArthur <sa...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Can you provide any stack traces?
> >
> > On 3/24/06, vivek sar <vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >  Using,
> > >            torque-3.1.jar, commons-dbcp-1.2.1.jar, commons-collections-3.1.jar
> > >
> > >  I am having this weird problem. In case an "insert" query fails
> > > (could be for any reason) in my case it is because of bad blocks on
> > > db, the subsequent query (like a "select" statement) gives me,
> > >       "ORA- 01453 - Set Transaction must be the first statement"
> > >
> > > error message. Once I get this exception the connection associated
> > > with this error gets frozen - it never gets released to the connection
> > > pool. I've configured maxActive to be 20 connections, so after 20 of
> > > these "ORA-01453" messages my application freezes and all other tasks
> > > just keep waiting for the connection indefinitely.
> > >
> > > I am using "SharedPoolDataSource" dbcp connection pool.
> > >
> > >  I am not using Transaction explicitly in my code. To get connection I use,
> > >
> > >      Torque.getConnection("xxxx");
> > >
> > > I am not sure if this is a bug in torque or dbcp. On my code I don't
> > > see any problem as I've the finally block where I close the connection
> > > before exiting the method.
> > >
> > > Does anyone has any experience with this ?
> >
> > --
> > Sandy McArthur
> >
> > "He who dares not offend cannot be honest."
> > - Thomas Paine

Sandy McArthur

- Thomas Paine

Re: Connection not getting released to pool .. ORA-01453 error

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
vivek sar wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  I don't have stack trace for the dbcp itself, but here is what I get
> in my application log,
>
>      SQLException ORA-01555: snapshot too old: rollback segment
> number 9 with name "_SYSSMU9$" too small

This seems to indicate that the rollback segment, which is Oracle lingo
for a file in the file system containing data to enable rollback, is too
small. You should feed the above lines to your Oracle dba and let
him/her turn some knobs on the Oracle configuration to allocate some
more disk space for the rollback segment.

> TorqueException: ORA-01453: SET TRANSACTION must be first statement of
> transaction
>
> Basically, after any insert failure (it could be any sqlexception) I
> get ORA-01453 and that freezes the connection.
>
> Thanks,
> -vivek
>

> On 3/24/06, Sandy McArthur <sa...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Can you provide any stack traces?
>>
>> On 3/24/06, vivek sar <vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>  Using,
>>>            torque-3.1.jar, commons-dbcp-1.2.1.jar, commons-collections-3.1.jar
>>>
>>>  I am having this weird problem. In case an "insert" query fails
>>> (could be for any reason) in my case it is because of bad blocks on
>>> db, the subsequent query (like a "select" statement) gives me,
>>>       "ORA- 01453 - Set Transaction must be the first statement"
>>>
>>> error message. Once I get this exception the connection associated
>>> with this error gets frozen - it never gets released to the connection
>>> pool. I've configured maxActive to be 20 connections, so after 20 of
>>> these "ORA-01453" messages my application freezes and all other tasks
>>> just keep waiting for the connection indefinitely.
>>>
>>> I am using "SharedPoolDataSource" dbcp connection pool.
>>>
>>>  I am not using Transaction explicitly in my code. To get connection I use,
>>>
>>>      Torque.getConnection("xxxx");
>>>
>>> I am not sure if this is a bug in torque or dbcp. On my code I don't
>>> see any problem as I've the finally block where I close the connection
>>> before exiting the method.
>>>
>>> Does anyone has any experience with this ?
>> --
>> Sandy McArthur
>>
>> "He who dares not offend cannot be honest."
>> - Thomas Paine

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Connection not getting released to pool .. ORA-01453 error

Posted by vivek sar <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sandy McArthur <sa...@apache.org>.