Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> on 2018/11/27 20:52:07 UTC

plugin:descriptor fails with java.util.NoSuchElementException

Hi,

sometimes the maven-plugin-plugin fails to write the plugin descriptor and
exits with the exception below.
I see the same unreliable behavior on our Jenkins servers too, re-running
often fixes the issue.
I have seen the issue several times locally when running with mvn.cmd, so
far never with mvnDebug.cmd and always running with default #threads.
I can't find a reason why elementStack[1] gets out of sync.

If there are others experiencing the same or similar issues, please share
your analysis.
Hopefully we can solve this instability issue soon.

thanks,
Robert

[1]
http://codehaus-plexus.github.io/plexus-utils/xref/org/codehaus/plexus/util/xml/PrettyPrintXMLWriter.html#L40

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugin-plugin:3.5.2:descriptor
(default-descriptor) on project maven-javadoc-plugin: Execution
default-descriptor of goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugin-plugin:3.5.2:descriptor failed.
NoSuchElementException -> [Help 1]
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Failed to execute
goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugin-plugin:3.5.2:descriptor
(default-descriptor) on project maven-javadoc-plugin: Execution
default-descriptor of goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-plugin-plugin:3.5.2:descriptor failed

Caused by: java.util.NoSuchElementException
     at java.util.LinkedList.removeLast (LinkedList.java:281)
     at org.codehaus.plexus.util.xml.PrettyPrintXMLWriter.endElement
(PrettyPrintXMLWriter.java:297)
     at
org.apache.maven.tools.plugin.generator.PluginDescriptorGenerator.writeDescriptor
(PluginDescriptorGenerator.java:175)

Re: plugin:descriptor fails with java.util.NoSuchElementException

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.
One more hint. What if the start element was added as NULL by an accident?
What if the impl of LinkedList ignores such element and then there are N -
1 elements to remove.
Adding an asset may help to find it.

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
I've found a few NoSuchElementException + LinkedList issues, although not
in combination with removeLast()
But this made it clear for me there have been issues with LinkedList...

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
+1 for Tibor's explanation.
Enrico

Il sab 8 dic 2018, 12:29 Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org> ha scritto:

> PluginDescriptorGenerator.writeDescriptor does not use Threads so it must
> be the problem that the number of calls "endElement" is greater than calls
> "startElement".
>
> https://github.com/apache/maven-plugin-tools/blob/master/maven-plugin-tools-generators/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/tools/plugin/generator/PluginDescriptorGenerator.java
>

> On Sat, Dec 8, 2018 at 11:46 AM Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > I do not think it can be such JVM issue with string concatenations,
> > otherwise
> > all the world has the same problem.
> > This type of issue is usually caused by multiple writes from multiple
> > threads.
> > Try to log every method with Thread id and we should see multiple ids.
> > The java.io is supposed to be synchronized and thread safe. Therefore
> > PrintWriter is a wrapper of thread safe implementations.
> > We should use ConcurrentLinkedList and identify large functionality. If
> > large methods changes status at multiple lines, then this is a critical
> > section and the class must be synchronized.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Tibor
> >

> > --
> > Sent from:
> http://maven.40175.n5.nabble.com/Maven-Developers-f142166.html

-- Enrico Olivelli

Re: plugin:descriptor fails with java.util.NoSuchElementException

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gabriel Belingueres <be...@gmail.com>.
I'll go for a minimal patch commenting with the rationale, and then build
upon that.

I also tested it will work if execute maven disabling string concatenation
optimization:
MAVEN_OPTS=-XX:-OptimizeStringConcat
which could used as a workaround for the short term.

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
wow, nice idea

Posted by Gabriel Belingueres <be...@gmail.com>.