Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Ray_Clough <rc...@kamakuraco.com> on 2008/12/17 05:27:26 UTC

Custom Server Config - errors

I have created a custom Server config using the Geronimo Console.  Some pages
cause an "IllegalStateException - no org.apache.InstanceManager set in
ServletContext".  When I run in the full server, I do not get this error, so
it must be something missing from my configuration.  The app uses jsf (with
Facelets) as well as older JSPX pages.  I think that it is the JSPX pages
which cause the problem.  Any ideas what I did not include which I should
have?

Thank you very much,
- Ray Clough

Re: Custom Server Config - errors

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Ray,

I don't have very up to date tomcat sources for the geronimo-modified
tomcat.... but I suspect the problem is in StandardContext.start()
where I think there's code like this:

         if (ok ) {
             if (instanceManager == null) {
                 javax.naming.Context context = null;
                 if (isUseNaming() && namingContextListener != null) {
                     context = namingContextListener.getEnvContext();
                 }
                 Map<String, Map<String, String>> injectionMap =
buildInjectionMap(getIgnoreAnnotations()? new NamingResources():
getNamingResources());
                 instanceManager = new DefaultInstanceManager(context,
                         injectionMap,
                         this,
                         this.getClass().getClassLoader());
                 getServletContext().setAttribute

("org.apache.jasper.instanceManagement.InstanceManager",
instanceManager);
             }
         }

I suspect ok == false here....

I think anything that set ok == false should have logged some kind of
error indicating the problem.  Could you check var/logs/geronimo.log
for any other stack traces when the app started?

otherwise I'm a bit mystified.... any chance you could send me your
app to play with?

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Ray Clough <rc...@kamakuraco.com>.
A systematic approach is just what I need, but I have no idea how to go about it.  Since the problem is with JSP pages, and since Jasper is used to compile them, it seems that it is somewhere around here I should look.  However I am hampered by not knowing much about these issues with Geronimo.  It seems probable that the Geronimo function which specifies the dependencies for each included module is missing one.  This belief is heightened by the fact that it works great in full Geronimo distribution.

Thanks,
- Ray Clough

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jack Cai <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ray Clough <rc...@kamakuraco.com>.
[...]

	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jack Cai <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ray,

Have you tried to run your app in Little-G? Usually you might want to
include everything that is in Little-G.

-Jack