Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Roman Rytov <ro...@tti-telecom.com> on 2003/05/22 14:11:17 UTC

[logging] Switching from JDK1.4 logger to Common's

Do I understand correct that my code uses Log4j logger then I may by
changing just its declaration switch to JDK1.4 one. But viseversa it's
impossible. Correct?

Roman

Re: [logging] Switching from JDK1.4 logger to Common's

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
hi roman

commons-logging is a thin wrapper for an underlying logging system. the
logging system can be configured at run time through a variety of
mechanisms. look at the package documentation or http://jakarta.apache.org/
commons/logging/userguide.html for more details.

if it is not specifically configured then commons-logging tries to make a
reasonable guess about what logging system should be used. the default
installation without explicit will default to log4j if it is installed
otherwise jdk 1.4 logging otherwise SimpleLog (an common-logging Logger
which defaults to print to System.err).

if you configure commons-logging explicitly you will have complete control
over the underlying logging system used - and you can even create your own
implementations.

- robert