Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2002/08/24 23:08:18 UTC

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/mappers mod_rewrite.c mod_rewrite.h

trawick@apache.org wrote:
> trawick     2002/08/23 05:49:08
>
>   Modified:    .        CHANGES
>                modules/mappers mod_rewrite.c mod_rewrite.h
>   Log:
>   add the ability to specify the dbm type (e.g., gdbm, ndbm) for
>   dbm rewrite maps
>
>   use dbm:filename for the default type
>
>   use dbm=TYPE:filename for a non-default type

Jeff: If I wanted to help you out by updating the documentation for
this, what would I say about the different dbm types that are available?

I suppose it is the same as for AuthDBMType (sdbm|gdbm|ndbm|db)?

What are the compile-time settings necessary to enable these various
types, and how would a user tell which types are available?

Joshua.

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/mappers mod_rewrite.c mod_rewrite.h

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net>.
Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> writes:

> trawick@apache.org wrote:
> > trawick     2002/08/23 05:49:08
> >   Modified:    .        CHANGES
> >                modules/mappers mod_rewrite.c mod_rewrite.h
> >   Log:
> >   add the ability to specify the dbm type (e.g., gdbm, ndbm) for
> >   dbm rewrite maps
> >     use dbm:filename for the default type
> >     use dbm=TYPE:filename for a non-default type
>
> Jeff: If I wanted to help you out by updating the documentation for
> this, what would I say about the different dbm types that are
> available?
>
> I suppose it is the same as for AuthDBMType (sdbm|gdbm|ndbm|db)?
>
> What are the compile-time settings necessary to enable these various
> types, and how would a user tell which types are available?

just to add my 2cents to what other folks mentioned...

Maybe we should create some doc describing Apache's dependency on
support libraries in general, and mention aspects of the apr and
apr-util configuration which affect Apache functionality?    The
descriptions of AuthDBMType and RewriteMap could point to some text in
that doc.

As you implied, an easy way is needed to determine the available dbm
types.  Until apr-util provides an appropriate run-time mechanism we
could change httpd -V outoupt to display a string like

  Available dbm types: sdbm|db

based on the build of apr-util which Apache was compiled with (which
for now is just about always the build of apr-util which Apache runs
with.

Alternatively, this could take the form

  -D APU_HAVE_SDBM
  -D APU_HAVE_DB

to be consistent with most of the other httpd -V output.

(I appreciate your desire to help.  I started looking at this a couple
of days ago and wasn't happy with the situation either :) )

--
Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net
Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/modules/mappers mod_rewrite.c mod_rewrite.h

Posted by Ian Holsman <ia...@apache.org>.
Joshua Slive wrote:
> Ian Holsman wrote:
>
>> --with-gdbm=[dir]
>> --with-ndbm=[inc:lib]/[dir]
>> --with-berkeley-db=[inc:lib]/[dir]
>

> Sorry, that is a little too terse for my tiny little brain.  Could you
> provide an example of how these work?
from our local configure script..

"--with-berkeley-db=/usr/local/cnet/BerkeleyDB/db-3.3.11-static" \
"--with-gdbm=/usr/local/cnet/gdbm/gdbm-1.8.0-gcc-2.95.3" \

it says search for berkeley DB's includes in
/usr/local/cnet/BerkeleyDB/db-3.3.11-static/include &
it's libs in /usr/local/cnet/BerkeleyDB/db-3.3.11-static/lib

we hard code the path as we have different implementations and this way
I can tell easily where i'm getting my library from (this gets tricker
when you build on one machine and deploy on several with different
/usr/locals)

this is the easy case.
some configurations don't have their includes & libs in the same
directory prefix, so you need the colon delimited prefix.
eg...
"--with-berkeley-db=/usr/include/db3:/usr/lib"
will search for the include in /usr/include/db3 and the lib in/usr/lib

--Ian

if you don't specify the path it will just search your default libraries

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Ian Holsman <ia...@apache.org>.
Aaron Bannert wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 24, 2002 at 02:16:26PM -0700, Ian Holsman wrote:
>
>>--with-gdbm=[dir]
>>--with-ndbm=[inc:lib]/[dir]
>>--with-berkeley-db=[inc:lib]/[dir]
>>
>>are the options to configure the DBM's
>>at the moment there is no way to tell which DBM's are configured.
>

> Ugh...why don't we just have --enable-foodb for each type, and then
> just search for it in the default include paths and lib paths?

if you don't put the directory in as an option that is what is will do.

personally I like being able to specify the directory, as I then know
which one will be found. (this is mainly for berkeleyDB as there are
usually a couple of them)

Posted by Ian Holsman <ia...@apache.org>.

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.

Posted by Ian Holsman <ia...@apache.org>.
Joshua Slive wrote:
> trawick@apache.org wrote:
>
>> trawick     2002/08/23 05:49:08
>>
>>   Modified:    .        CHANGES
>>                modules/mappers mod_rewrite.c mod_rewrite.h
>>   Log:
>>   add the ability to specify the dbm type (e.g., gdbm, ndbm) for
>>   dbm rewrite maps
>>     use dbm:filename for the default type
>>     use dbm=TYPE:filename for a non-default type
>

> Jeff: If I wanted to help you out by updating the documentation for
> this, what would I say about the different dbm types that are available?
>
> I suppose it is the same as for AuthDBMType (sdbm|gdbm|ndbm|db)?
yes.

Posted by Ian Holsman <ia...@apache.org>.