Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2001/07/09 06:22:16 UTC

[humor] You make the decision. (was: Re: JSP Insider link)

on 7/8/01 6:27 PM, "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org> wrote:

> Anyone cares to review and add the link?
>
>   Pier

Humor for the day...

:-)

Try to figure out why that stack trace is happening.

:-)

-jon

[152][ ~ ]% telnet jspinsider.com 80
Trying 209.247.227.140...
Connected to jspinsider.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Server: JRun Web Server/3.0
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 04:16:59 GMT
Set-Cookie: jsessionid=149104994565819328;path=/
Expires: Thu, 01 Dec 1994 16:00:00 GMT
Connection: close
Cache-Control: no-cache="set-cookie,set-cookie2"

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>JSP Insider -Home Page- A JavaServer Page Site with Java Web Design
Infor
mation</TITLE>
<META name="Keywords" content=" JSP, java server page, Java, Servlets, JDBC,
jav
aserver pages,html,
 JSPInsider, Insider, JSPBuzz, JSPKit, jsp servrlet, Development, Dynamic,
Web,
site, Sites, Free, Code,
 ASP, Active Server Pages, Database, Components, xml, Relational Databases,
Util
ities, Tutorials, Beans,
 Articles, SUN, Browser, jobs,design,Information,
page,software,drivers,learn,co
m,download,find " >
<META name="Description" content="JSP Insider: JavaServer Page ( JSP )
Informati
on site. Internet and Java developers sharing information to solve JSP
problems.
 With JSP articles, free code, tutorials, current Java and Internet news." >
<META name="Author" content="support@jspinsider.com" >
<META name="ROBOTS" content="INDEX,FOLLOW" >
<META content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" http-equiv=Content-Type>
<LINK rel="StyleSheet" type="text/css"
href="http://www.jspinsider.com/jspinside
r.css">
<SCRIPT src="http://www.jspinsider.com/jspinsider.js"></SCRIPT>
</HEAD>
<BODY onload="init()" style="margin-bottom:0px; padding-bottom:0px;">

************ BUNCH OF HTML OUTPUT DELETED TO SAVE SPACE ********************

<h1>500 Internal Server Error</h1>
<PRE>
<B>/:</B>

null
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at jrun__error2ejspa._jspService(jrun__error2ejspa.java:99)
        at
allaire.jrun.jsp.HttpJSPServlet.service(../jsp/HttpJSPServlet.java:40
)
        at allaire.jrun.servlet.JRunSE.service(../servlet/JRunSE.java:1013)
        at
allaire.jrun.servlet.JRunSE.runServlet(../servlet/JRunSE.java:925)
        at
allaire.jrun.servlet.JRunNamedDispatcher.forward(../servlet/JRunNamed
Dispatcher.java:34)
        at allaire.jrun.jsp.JSPServlet.service(../jsp/JSPServlet.java:175)
        at allaire.jrun.servlet.JRunSE.service(../servlet/JRunSE.java:1013)
        at
allaire.jrun.servlet.JRunSE.runServlet(../servlet/JRunSE.java:925)
        at
allaire.jrun.servlet.JRunRequestDispatcher.include(../servlet/JRunReq
uestDispatcher.java:126)
        at
allaire.jrun.jsp.JRunPageContext.include(../jsp/JRunPageContext.java:
341)
        at
allaire.jrun.jsp.JRunPageContext.handlePageException(../jsp/JRunPageC
ontext.java:348)
        at jrun__index2ejspa._jspService(jrun__index2ejspa.java:154)
        at
allaire.jrun.jsp.HttpJSPServlet.service(../jsp/HttpJSPServlet.java:40
)
        at allaire.jrun.servlet.JRunSE.service(../servlet/JRunSE.java:1013)
        at
allaire.jrun.servlet.JRunSE.runServlet(../servlet/JRunSE.java:925)
        at
allaire.jrun.servlet.JRunNamedDispatcher.forward(../servlet/JRunNamed
Dispatcher.java:34)
        at allaire.jrun.jsp.JSPServlet.service(../jsp/JSPServlet.java:175)
        at allaire.jrun.servlet.JRunSE.service(../servlet/JRunSE.java:1013)
        at
allaire.jrun.servlet.JRunSE.runServlet(../servlet/JRunSE.java:925)
        at
allaire.jrun.servlet.JRunRequestDispatcher.forward(../servlet/JRunReq
uestDispatcher.java:88)
        at
allaire.jrun.file.FileServlet.service(../file/FileServlet.java:155)
        at
allaire.jrun.servlet.JRunServletPool.service(../servlet/JRunServletPo
ol.java:92)
        at allaire.jrun.servlet.JRunSE.service(../servlet/JRunSE.java:1013)
        at
allaire.jrun.servlet.JRunSE.runServlet(../servlet/JRunSE.java:925)
        at
allaire.jrun.servlet.JRunRequestDispatcher.forward(../servlet/JRunReq
uestDispatcher.java:88)
        at allaire.jrun.servlet.JRunSE.service(../servlet/JRunSE.java:1131)
        at
allaire.jrun.servlet.JvmContext.dispatch(../servlet/JvmContext.java:3
30)
        at allaire.jrun.http.WebEndpoint.run(../http/WebEndpoint.java:107)
        at allaire.jrun.ThreadPool.run(../ThreadPool.java:272)
        at allaire.jrun.WorkerThread.run(../WorkerThread.java:75)

</PRE>

Connection closed by foreign host.

Re: Top level intro to jakarta-site2

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 7/10/01 5:03 AM, "William BC Crandall" <cr...@wiesbaden.vistec.net>
wrote:

> I write this, because I am amazed by the Open software
> movement, am delighted by its Apache/Jakarta incarnation,
> and wish us all even more success in this arena.
>
> All the best,
>
> BC Crandall
> Wiesbaden Germany
> crandall@wiesbaden.vistec.net

Hello, please take a look at the page now. I have updated it to add more
information. If there is anything else I can do for you, please let me know.

Thanks,

-jon stevens

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous

Top level intro to jakarta-site2

Posted by William BC Crandall <cr...@wiesbaden.vistec.net>.
I just stumbled on:

http://jakarta.apache.org/site/jakarta-site2.html

Which, upon inspection, seems to be a nice set of
documentation conventions for Jakarta projects.

At the end of that page, I found:

"If there are parts of this document that are confusing to you
[...] please send feedback to the general@jakarta.apache.org
mailing list. Please try to give a detailed description of what
is confusing so that I can update the page to make things more
clear."

Since you asked for it ;), my recommendation, for this
and in fact many OS pages, is to start the document
with a total-newbie one- or two-sentence description
of just what the heck we are looking at. Something that
would make sense to your bright cousin, who knows nothing
about the project, when she asks you to describe what
you've been working so hard on.

So, rather than starting with,

"If you would like to use the jakarta-site2 module as a
dependency for your project, here are the instructions for
how to do that."

How about,

"The jakarta-site2 module is a ..."

or

"The jakarta-site2 module consist of [3?, 23?]
[whatsits] that let you create [theseThings] which
are particularly useful when you are trying to [flimflam]."

Re: [humor] You make the decision. (was: Re: JSP Insider link)

Posted by Jayson Falkner <ja...@jspinsider.com>.
Hello,

> > easy. they use jrun! :-)
Forced to use JRun :( Actually had to migrate from Tomcat over to JRun for
the time being. On a Windows box none the less.

> FYI, that same stack trace is also generated for a GET / HTTP/1.0 request.
> That means that almost every request to that server will generate that
stack
> trace. Duh.
We have had nothing but trouble with JRun. If I had my way, which will soon
be, Tomcat will be back in action for our server.

Thanks for the humor :) Could you forward it to me if there is a next time?

Jayson Falkner
jayson@jspinsider.com

Re: [humor] You make the decision. (was: Re: JSP Insider link)

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 7/9/01 4:13 PM, "Geoff Soutter" <ge...@whitewolf.com.au> wrote:

>> Try to figure out why that stack trace is happening.
>>
>> :-)
>
> easy. they use jrun! :-)
>
> geoff

Oh wait, I thought that JSP was a "standard" and worked the same across all
the different containers. Not.

    <http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/ymtd/ymtd-implementation.html>

"Part of the founding reason for creating the Jakarta Project and having Sun
release the source code to Jasper (the JSP reference implementation) is to
encourage vendors to adopt a single base for their source code.
Unfortunately, this has not happened. There is compatibility testing suites
available, however there is no policy in place requiring vendors to pass the
tests. Nor is there a place that shows vendors who do not pass the tests in
order to publicly humiliate them into submission."

Posted by Geoff Soutter <ge...@whitewolf.com.au>.
> Try to figure out why that stack trace is happening.
>
> :-)

easy. they use jrun! :-)

geoff