Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@atosorigin.com> on 2010/03/25 11:47:55 UTC

JPA 2.0 support in OpenEJB

Hi,

I spent  some time trying to add JPA 2.0 support in OpenEJB (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENEJB-1236 OPENEJB-1236 ).

Actually, it's just a draft but it seems to work fine ;)
I'd like to have some feedback about the patch attached to the JIRA.
>From my understanding and tests, it works with JPA 1.0 implementation as
well as with JPA 2.0 implementation. Obviously, using JPA 2.0 feature with
an JPA 1.0 implementation will cause errors.

BTW, to play a bit with JPA 2.0, i changed the hibernate 3 sample.
You can have a look and play!

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Jean-Louis

Re: JPA 2.0 support in OpenEJB

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@atosorigin.com>.
Nobody got time to have a look?

Jean-Louis

Re: Code formatting

Posted by dsh <da...@googlemail.com>.
If you want Eclipse to not reformat the source code while saving a
file you have to de-activate Save Actions under Window > Preferences >
Java > Editor > Save Actions. Or just use a Eclipse code template that
matches the proposed style :)

Cheers
Daniel

Re: Code formatting

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: Code formatting

Posted by Andy <an...@orprovision.com>.

Re: Code formatting

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.
Also discussed here

--
Karan Singh Malhi

Re: Code formatting

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andy...

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Code formatting

Re: JPA 2.0 support in OpenEJB

Posted by Andy <an...@orprovision.com>.
  On 17.09.2010 02:16, David Blevins wrote:
> On Sep 16, 2010, at 6:14 AM, Andy wrote:
>
>> On 16.09.2010 14:20, Jean-Louis MONTEIRO wrote:
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> I checked with OpenJPA guys and this feature has been disabled.
>>> Have a look here  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-651
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-651
>>>
>>> But, we can get back to the OpenJPA 1.x behavior using the property
>>> openjpa.RuntimeUnenhancedClasses=supported.
>>>
>>> With this property set, it works fine now.
>>> Regarding the discussion and the JIRA, it may be great to get a better
>>> solution.
>>>
>>> Jean-Louis
>>>
>> Just checked that in ;-)
> Definitely a step in the right direction.  We'll probably want a fix in OpenEJB rather than requiring all apps to compensate for the OpenJPA change.
>
> I swizzled our existing PersistenceProviderProperties class to be aware of the openjpa.RuntimeUnenhancedClasses=supported flag and set it if it isn't found.
>
>     http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=997956
>
> With that we should be able to remove the 'openjpa.RuntimeUnenhancedClasses' flags from all our tests/examples and everything should still work.  Might be a good idea to do that so we know the auto-setting support works and users are getting the same experience we are.
>

> -David

Will do that right away - Now I know where to make such changes in the
future :-)

Andy.

Re: Pom optimization

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
I'm more than willing to help if I can find the cycles

-Stephen (Maven Committer & PMC member)

Re: Pom optimization

Posted by dsh <da...@googlemail.com>.
Opened a JIRA for the Hudson part of this note:

Re: Pom optimization

Posted by dsh <da...@googlemail.com>.
I can fill the JIRA and work together with Gavin to setup the Hudson build.

Cheers
Daniel

Re: Pom optimization

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Pom optimization

Posted by Andy <an...@orprovision.com>.
  Hi David,

I've been working my way through this great resource in order to try and
make heads and tails of maven:

http://www.sonatype.com/books/maven-book/reference/public-book.html

Especially taking notes on:
http://www.sonatype.com/books/maven-book/reference/optimizing.html

It seems that there are a lot of inheritance issues with the current
trunk which leads to a lot of duplicated plugins and deps down the
chain, but often with differing versions. The final build basically does
the best job it can at resolving all required versions.

I know it is a huge and dangerous task to make wide ranging pom changes,
and I have just bitten the bullet and made some changes to several poms.

Re: JPA 2.0 support in OpenEJB

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: JPA 2.0 support in OpenEJB

Posted by Andy <an...@orprovision.com>.
  On 16.09.2010 14:20, Jean-Louis MONTEIRO wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> I checked with OpenJPA guys and this feature has been disabled.
> Have a look here  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-651
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-651
>
> But, we can get back to the OpenJPA 1.x behavior using the property
> openjpa.RuntimeUnenhancedClasses=supported.
>
> With this property set, it works fine now.
> Regarding the discussion and the JIRA, it may be great to get a better
> solution.
>
> Jean-Louis

Just checked that in ;-)

Andy.

Re: JPA 2.0 support in OpenEJB

Re: JPA 2.0 support in OpenEJB

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Sep 7, 2010, at 8:01 AM, Jean-Louis MONTEIRO wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Some tests in UnenhancedTest.java fail because some classes are unenhanced.
> #testUnenhancedComplexIdJta
> #testUnenhancedComplexIdResourceLocal
>
> Regarding OPENEJB-628, this test case is only due to some OpenJPA bugs.
> We are now using OpenJPA 2.x and those bugs may be fixed.
>
> Can i comment the 2 test cases?

I see these three failing:

  core.cmp.jpa.UnenhancedTest.txt:testUnenhancedComplexIdJta
  core.cmp.jpa.UnenhancedTest.txt:testUnenhancedComplexIdResourceLocal
  core.stateful.EntityManagerPropogationTest.txt:test

The first two are less concerning, but the EntityManagerPropogationTest is a critical test.

The entity bean involved in that test is very simple.  If there's a way we can turn back on the subclassing functionality of OpenJPA, then that might do the trick.  I just hope they haven't removed it completely.

-David

Re: JPA 2.0 support in OpenEJB

Re: JPA 2.0 support in OpenEJB

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@atosorigin.com>.
Hi all,

Working again on that issue.
May be some tests will fail this week.

Apologize.

JLouis

Re: JPA 2.0 support in OpenEJB

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@atosorigin.com>.
Hi David,

I need to investigate a bit more cause 2 test cases are still failing
because of OpenJPA load time enhancements.

I'm trying to understand why it fails?
Is it due to OpenJPA changes (from 1.x to 2.x)?
Or is it due to JPA 2 support in OpenEJB?

Anyway, that's a topic i definitely need to achieve ASAP.

Jean-Louis

Re: JPA 2.0 support in OpenEJB

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.