Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca> on 1998/03/05 20:59:43 UTC

MMN note

I bumped the MMN thinking that an external module could use this to figure
out whether or not to try to include ap_config.h.  Although, technically
this is true, in reality it really doesn't work because in order to get
the MMN, you have to include http_config.h which in turn depends on
httpd.h and a bunch of others.  By then, it is too late because
ap_config.h needs to be included before any of these.

For this to work the MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER would have to be defined in a
header file which is not dependant upon other header files.  I can work
around this, but just an observation for anybody planning to move the
header stuff around a bit.  Putting the various version numbers and the
MMN off into its own version.h file would be a good idea.

-Rasmus

Re: MMN note

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> I bumped the MMN thinking that an external module could use this to figure
> out whether or not to try to include ap_config.h.  Although, technically
> this is true, in reality it really doesn't work because in order to get
> the MMN, you have to include http_config.h which in turn depends on
> httpd.h and a bunch of others.  By then, it is too late because
> ap_config.h needs to be included before any of these.
>
> For this to work the MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER would have to be defined in a
> header file which is not dependant upon other header files.  I can work
> around this, but just an observation for anybody planning to move the
> header stuff around a bit.  Putting the various version numbers and the
> MMN off into its own version.h file would be a good idea.

In many portable s/w projects I've been involved in, it's been necessary
to have a header which does just enough to distinguish platforms and no
more. MMN is one example of what goes in there. There tend to be a few
others. Usually just enough to identify the platform, and no more.

Cheers,

Ben.