Posted to torque-dev@db.apache.org by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net> on 2010/10/01 05:56:28 UTC

Re: How to remove village [was: Re: Release Torque-4.0-alpha1 soon? & set of supported databases]

Dr. Thomas Fischer
Software-Entwicklung
Tel. +49 (0) 7531 36598-22
Fax +49 (0) 7531 36598-11
E-Mail  fischer@seitenbau.com

SEITENBAU GmbH
Seilerstraße 7
D-78467 Konstanz
http://www.seitenbau.com

Amtsgericht Freiburg HRB 381528
USt-IdNr.: DE 1905 525 50

Geschäftsführer:
Florian Leinberger | Sebastian Roller | Rainer Henze | Jan Bauer | Stefan
Eichenhofer

Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org> schrieb am 30.09.2010 21:50:47:

> Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>

> Apache Torque Developers List <to...@db.apache.org>

> 30.09.2010 21:50

> Re: How to remove village [was: Re: Release Torque-4.0-alpha1 soon?
> & set of supported databases]
>
> On 30.09.10 06:20, Thomas Fischer wrote:
> >     // maybe can go to BasePeer
> >     public static List<Book> selectAndConvert(Criteria criteria,
> > Mapper<Book> mapper, Connection con)
> >     {
> >         Query query = createQuery(criteria);
> >         ResultSet resultSet = con.createStatement().executeQuery
> > (query.toString());
> >         List<Book> result = new ArrayList<Book>();
> >         while (resultSet.next)
> >         {
> >             result.add(BookMapper.map(resultSet));
> >         }
> >         return result;
> >     }
>
> I understand. I tried to do something similar with commons-dbutils once.
> Worked like a charm.

Yes it's the commons-dbutils approach.

> Problem is, that this only covers the SELECT case.
> I found it very difficult to apply the equivalent concept to the
> INSERT/UPDATE case.

But for what does one need village for updating? For insert/update, one
needs to create a prepared statement containing all columns (should not bee
too difficult) and add all the values as parameters (using plain objects).
If I recall correctly, village does create the prepared statement and does
the filling in, but this could also be generated (perhaps in the mapper
class). One can even leave out building the criteria IMHO. I will have a go
at it.

> > Do you see any advantages of the metadata approach a compared to the
mapper
> > approach outlined above ?
>
> Easier transition. Do something simple but useful for 3.3.1, keep the
> big bang for later. ;-)

Ah ok. I have no stock in 3.3.1, you can do whatever you want there (well
not really, but within very wide  limits)

    Thomas