Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by KY...@bksv.com on 2009/10/12 12:01:23 UTC

Apache memory leak?

Dear all,

I have lots of memory issues on my server after the latest update to my
subversion server. I used to run a v1.5.5 server without much problems
on my environment and rebooting the server from time to time is a must.
It usually happens once every week. Now that i have updated the
subversion server to the latest build provided by CollabNet due to a
valuable fix to this version.

Ever since, i have to reboot the server once every 2 days due to
non-responding clients and high memory consumption.

This is my setup:
- Collab.Net Subversion: Version 1.6.5-6, Release Date: September 8,
2009
- Windows Server 2003 with full updates with 2 GB of RAM.
- Repository size: 20GB.
- Have been using subversion for the past 5 years.
- Last integrity check was ok before the upgrade.
- httpd takes ~900MB of RAM and ~900MB of virtual memroy.

I do not know what's the reason or the cause of it. Sometimes svnadmin
seems to be running heavily on the server taking up to 50% of the CPU
time.

Has anyone experienced this after the server upgrade? What can i do to
fix this? Please help. Thanks.

Regards,
Lee

This e-mail is confidential and may be read, copied and used only by the intended recipient. If you have received it in error, please contact the sender immediately by return e-mail. Please then delete the e-mail and do not disclose its contents to any other person.

RE: Apache memory leak?

Posted by KY...@bksv.com.
Hi Tony,

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, i run python post commit scripts in that repo.
But how would that make the high memory consumption?

Regards,
Lee

Posted by Tony Harverson <to...@iglu.com>.
Are you perhaps triggering an svnadmin hotcopy (or something else) in a post-commit script for that repo?

Tony

RE: Apache memory leak?

Posted by KY...@bksv.com.
Hi Tony,

Yes, that's my problem too. I have to reboot every few days.

This is my server signature: Server: Apache/2.2.13 (Win32) DAV/2
SVN/1.6.5 mod_auth_sspi/1.0.4

I run it on Windows Server 2003, with LDAP authentication.
Still the high memory consumption with Apache 2.2. I don't remember if
the problem is there when it's still operating under Apache 2.0.

Regards,
Lee

Posted by Geoff Rowell <ge...@gmail.com>.
Tony Butt wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 10:24 +0200, KYLEE@bksv.com wrote:
> > Hi Uli,
> >
> > Thanks for the reply. That's what i thought so. It's definitely high
memory comsumption there.
> > I do not serve anything else for Apache. It's a dedicated subversion
server via http and nothing else.

> The only time I have found excessive memory consumption with apache was
when I tried to use ldap authentication on apache 2.0. The memory usage
would creep up over a period of time, and eventually I had to restart apache
(every few days, or so, I think). I gave up on ldap and the problem went
away.

> I have since used ldap authentication with apache 2.2, and there are no
problems there.
> > I have svnadmin running daily for backup. But when the backup service is
not running, it's stuck in the process somehow.

> > Regards,
> > Lee

I run the CollabNet Subversion Server 1.6.5 (on W2K3 R2) with basic
authentication and authz - nothing fancy - and I'm also seeing a gradual
increase in the virtual memory size of the Apache process. I've been
restarting Apache every couple of day to control the memory size.

RE: Apache memory leak?

Posted by Tony Butt <To...@cea.com.au>.
On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 10:24 +0200, KYLEE@bksv.com wrote:
> Hi Uli,
>
> Thanks for the reply. That's what i thought so. It's definitely high memory comsumption there.
> I do not serve anything else for Apache. It's a dedicated subversion server via http and nothing else.

The only time I have found excessive memory consumption with apache was
when I tried to use ldap authentication on apache 2.0. The memory usage
would creep up over a period of time, and eventually I had to restart
apache (every few days, or so, I think). I gave up on ldap and the
problem went away.

I have since used ldap authentication with apache 2.2, and there are no
problems there.
> I have svnadmin running daily for backup. But when the backup service is not running, it's stuck in the process somehow.
>

> Regards,
> Lee

Tony Butt
CEA Technologies.

RE: Apache memory leak?

Posted by KY...@bksv.com.

Re: Apache memory leak?

Posted by Ulrich Eckhardt <ec...@satorlaser.com>.

Re: Apache memory leak?

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 09:22:36AM -0500, Geoff Rowell wrote:
> Hi Lee,
>
> I added a "MaxMemFree" directive to "httpd.conf". Haven't had a problem
> since then.

Great!

> No one offered a reason why the problem suddenly appeared when I upgraded to
> 1.6.x.

That's because no one has had the time to reproduce and debug the
issue and pin-point what is causing it.

It could of course be a new memory leak somewhere in the Subversion
libraries, we've have found memory leaks in Subversion before.
But it could also be something else. We just don't know yet.

Stefan

RE: Apache memory leak?

Thanks for the reply. I had the same problem too.
Do you have a solution to overcome this?

Regards,
Lee

> > Thanks for the reply. That's what i thought so. It's definitely high
memory comsumption there.
> > I do not serve anything else for Apache. It's a dedicated subversion
server via http and nothing else.

> The only time I have found excessive memory consumption with apache
was
when I tried to use ldap authentication on apache 2.0. The memory usage
would creep up over a period of time, and eventually I had to restart
apache
(every few days, or so, I think). I gave up on ldap and the problem went
away.

> I have since used ldap authentication with apache 2.2, and there are
no
problems there.
> > I have svnadmin running daily for backup. But when the backup
service is
not running, it's stuck in the process somehow.

> > Regards,
> > Lee

RE: Apache memory leak? FIXED

Posted by KY...@bksv.com.
Hi Ivan,

Thank you. It worked after adding MaxMemFree directive.

Regards,
Lee

Posted by Ivan Zhakov <iv...@visualsvn.com>.
On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 12:06 PM,  <KY...@bksv.com> wrote:
> Hi Ivan Zhakov,
>

> No, i do not use mod_deflate in my server setting. Thanks for the tip.
> Any idea?

Check the MaxMemFree directive. Changing MaxMemFree to lower values
like 600 reduced memory usage significantly.

--
Ivan Zhakov
VisualSVN Team

RE: Apache memory leak?

Posted by KY...@bksv.com.
Hi Ivan Zhakov,

No, i do not use mod_deflate in my server setting. Thanks for the tip.
Any idea?

Regards,
Lee

> I have lots of memory issues on my server after the latest update to
my
> subversion server. I used to run a v1.5.5 server without much problems
on my
> environment and rebooting the server from time to time is a must. It
usually
> happens once every week. Now that i have updated the subversion server
> the latest build provided by CollabNet due to a valuable fix to this
> version.
>
> Ever since, i have to reboot the server once every 2 days due to
> non-responding clients and high memory consumption.
> This is my setup:
> - Collab.Net Subversion: Version 1.6.5-6, Release Date: September 8,
2009
> - Windows Server 2003 with full updates with 2 GB of RAM.
> - Repository size: 20GB.
> - Have been using subversion for the past 5 years.
> - Last integrity check was ok before the upgrade.
> - httpd takes ~900MB of RAM and ~900MB of virtual memroy.
>
> I do not know what's the reason or the cause of it. Sometimes svnadmin
seems
> to be running heavily on the server taking up to 50% of the CPU time.
>
> Has anyone experienced this after the server upgrade? What can i do to
fix
> this? Please help. Thanks.

Do you use mod_deflate? There is known problem with latest Apache and
Subversion. See thread below:
http://groups.google.ru/group/subversion-development/browse_thread/threa
d/6d63ea3ba63872ad

--
Ivan Zhakov
VisualSVN Team

Re: Apache memory leak?

Posted by Ivan Zhakov <iv...@visualsvn.com>.
On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 8:22 PM, Geoff Rowell <ge...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ivan Zhakov wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 4:01 PM,  <KY...@bksv.com> wrote:
>> > Dear all,
>> >

>> > I have lots of memory issues on my server after the latest update to my
>> > subversion server. I used to run a v1.5.5 server without much problems
> on my
>> > environment and rebooting the server from time to time is a must. It
> usually
>> > happens once every week. Now that i have updated the subversion server
>> > the latest build provided by CollabNet due to a valuable fix to this
>> > version.
>> >
>> > Ever since, i have to reboot the server once every 2 days due to
>> > non-responding clients and high memory consumption.
>> > This is my setup:
>> > - Collab.Net Subversion: Version 1.6.5-6, Release Date: September 8,
> 2009
>> > - Windows Server 2003 with full updates with 2 GB of RAM.
>> > - Repository size: 20GB.
>> > - Have been using subversion for the past 5 years.
>> > - Last integrity check was ok before the upgrade.
>> > - httpd takes ~900MB of RAM and ~900MB of virtual memroy.
>> >
>> > I do not know what's the reason or the cause of it. Sometimes svnadmin
> seems
>> > to be running heavily on the server taking up to 50% of the CPU time.
>> >
>> > Has anyone experienced this after the server upgrade? What can i do to
> fix
>> > this? Please help. Thanks.
>> >
>> Do you use mod_deflate? There is known problem with latest Apache and
>> Subversion. See thread below:
>>
> http://groups.google.ru/group/subversion-development/browse_thread/thread/6d
> 63ea3ba63872ad
>>

> Nope. It's really basic.

Ok. Next thing that you should try is configure MaxMemFree option to
some lower value. In our VisualSVN Server setting "MaxMemFree 100"
significantly dropped memory usage.

--
Ivan Zhakov
VisualSVN Team

Re: Apache memory leak?

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.
Geoff Rowell wrote:

>>> Has anyone experienced this after the server upgrade? What can i do to
> fix
>>> this? Please help. Thanks.
>>>
>> Do you use mod_deflate? There is known problem with latest Apache and
>> Subversion. See thread below:
>>
> http://groups.google.ru/group/subversion-development/browse_thread/thread/6d
> 63ea3ba63872ad
>
> Nope. It's really basic.

If apache is using the prefork model, you should be able to force the
child processes to each restart after some number of connections to work
around memory leaks in any module without much impact.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@gmail.com

RE: Apache memory leak?