Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Chris Croome <ch...@webarchitects.co.uk> on 2003/06/25 16:41:46 UTC

Problem building Neon RPMS on RH9

Hi

I'm probably doing somthing daft here... :-)

I did have the RH9 RPMS working fine (the ones from your site [1]) on my
desktop RH9 box but after checking out the latest version of subversion
and building my own rpms and installing them I get this error when
committing stuff:

  ssl_lib.c(277): OpenSSL internal error, assertion failed: s->sid_ctx_length <= sizeof s->sid_ctx

After some googling it appears that this is because the version of
subversion I'm now runing has been compiled against a different version
of openssl [2].

So I have checked out the latest version of neon from your site [3] and
tried to build it:

  [chris@snowball neon]$ find ./ -name neon.spec
  ./trunk/neon.spec
  ./tags/neon-0.23.5-1/neon.spec
  ./tags/neon-0.23.9-1/neon.spec
  ./tags/neon-0.22.0-1/neon.spec
  ./tags/neon-0.21.2-1/neon.spec
  ./tags/neon-0.21.3-1/neon.spec
  ./tags/neon-0.23.2-1/neon.spec
  ./tags/neon-0.21.3-2/neon.spec
  ./tags/neon-0.21.3-3/neon.spec

I guess I should use the latest tagged version?

  [chris@snowball neon]$ rpm -ba ./tags/neon-0.23.9-1/neon.spec
  -ba: unknown option

Ah, the -ba is for older versions of rpm I think, try again...

  [chris@snowball neon]$ rpmbuild ./tags/neon-0.23.9-1/neon.spec
  error: File /usr/local/src/rpms/sources/neon-0.23.9-1/neon-0.23.9.tar.gz: No such file or directory

This is where I'm stuck -- do I need to manually create the tgz file
before building the RPM?

Sorry if this is a stupid question...

Cheers

Chris

[1] http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/pub/linux/redhat/RPMS/i386/subversion-latest/redhat-9.x/

[2] http://www.contactor.se/~dast/svn/archive-2003-05/1742.shtml

[3] http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/repos/

--
Chris Croome                               <ch...@webarchitects.co.uk>

Re: Problem building Neon RPMS on RH9

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Chris Croome wrote:

> >   rpmbuild -ba neon.spec
> >   error: cannot get shared lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
> >   error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Operation not permitted (1)
> >   error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
> >   make: *** [all] Error 1
>
> Doh! I had a process that had locked the RPM database:
>
>   # apt-get upgrade -d
>   Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
>
> that I had forgotten about...
>
> I have now built and installed a new neon rpm and everything is now
> working again :-)

Whew!  Great!  I'll see about adding a README file to the repository
sometime soon.

    Thanks!

--
David Wayne Summers          "Linux: Because reboots are for hardware upgrades!"
david@summersoft.fay.ar.us   PGP Key: http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/~david/pgp.txt

Re: Problem building Neon RPMS on RH9

Posted by Chris Croome <ch...@webarchitects.co.uk>.
Hi

Posted by Chris Croome <ch...@webarchitects.co.uk>.
Hi David

On Wed 25-Jun-2003 at 11:44:29 -0500, David Summers wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Chris Croome wrote:
> >
> >   [chris@snowball neon]$ rpmbuild ./tags/neon-0.23.9-1/neon.spec
> >   error: File /usr/local/src/rpms/sources/neon-0.23.9-1/neon-0.23.9.tar.gz: No such file or directory
>
> Hmm, I don't think I've EVER tried to build an RPM from OUTSIDE the RPM
> Source directory before.....I don't know what that will do.

Actually the situation is that /home/ is nfs mounted and 97% full and
/usr/ is local hd and has loads of space so I have this:

  [chris@snowball neon-0.23.9-1]$ cat ~/.rpmmacros
  %_topdir        /usr/local/src/rpms
  %_builddir      %{_topdir}/build
  %_rpmdir        %{_topdir}/rpms
  %_sourcedir     %{_topdir}/sources/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}
  %_specdir       %{_sourcedir}
  %_srcrpmdir     %{_topdir}/srpms
  %_tmppath       %{_topdir}/tmp

  [chris@snowball neon-0.23.9-1]$ ls -la /usr/local/
  drwxr-xr-x   11 chris    chris        4096 Jun 26 10:35 src

  [chris@snowball neon-0.23.9-1]$ ls -la /home/chris/
  lrwxrwxrwx    1 chris    chris          19 Jun 19 18:19 rpms -> /usr/local/src/rpms

> $ cd $HOME/rpms/sources
> $ svn co http://summersoft.fay.ar.us:81/repos/neon/tags/neon-0.23.9-1
> [it checks out the tag]
> $ cd neon-0.23.9-1
> $ make
>
> .......Yep, seems to work fine for me on RedHat 9.

Hmm, not for me, this appear like it thinks I need to be root (that
can't be right!):

  [chris@snowball neon-0.23.9-1]$ pwd
  /usr/local/src/rpms/sources/neon-0.23.9-1

  [chris@snowball sources]$ cd neon-0.23.9-1

  [chris@snowball neon-0.23.9-1]$ make
  tar cfz neon-0.23.9.tar.gz neon --exclude=".svn"
  rpmbuild -ba neon.spec
  error: cannot get shared lock on /var/lib/rpm/Packages
  error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Operation not permitted (1)
  error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
  make: *** [all] Error 1

> So.......what was it you were getting confused about?  :-)

Most stuff :-)

> How could it be made clearer, maybe a README file or something?

Yes please, a README that assumes the person reading it hasn't built many RPMS
from source before would be ideal!

> If you can figure out how to get apr/apr-util/apache to build under
> RedHat 9, please send me patches diffed against my current
> httpd-2.0.46-0.1 tree in Subversion.  I think I've got an angle of
> attack but haven't yet had time to try it.  Until then, I can't
> compile a completely RedHat 9 generated RPM.

I'm willing to give it a go, but if you can't get it working I fear I'm
not going to be much use... ;-)

Chris

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.
On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 09:28:29AM +0200, Michael Wood wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 11:44:29PM -0500, David Summers wrote:
> [snip]
> > If you can figure out how to get apr/apr-util/apache to build under
> > RedHat 9, please send me patches diffed against my current
> > httpd-2.0.46-0.1 tree in Subversion.  I think I've got an angle of
> > attack but haven't yet had time to try it.  Until then, I can't
> > compile a completely RedHat 9 generated RPM.
> [snip]
>
> The bug report that Philip found the other day said that in RedHat 9 the
> Kerberos stuff had moved to /usr/kerberos, IIRC, so wouldn't an
> appropriately placed "-I/usr/kerberos/include" and "-L/usr/kerberos/lib"
> fix it?
>
> I don't have RH9, so I can't test this.

You know, saying "RedHat 9" makes as much sense as "Microsoft 95" :)
But yes - for Red-*space*-Hat-space-*Linux*-space-9 you can add to
httpd.spec something like this before running configure:

if pkg-config openssl; then
  export CFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS `pkg-config --cflags openssl`"
  export AP_LIBS="$AP_LIBS `pkg-config --libs openssl`"
fi

Re: Problem building Neon RPMS on RH9

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Michael Wood wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 11:44:29PM -0500, David Summers wrote:
> [snip]
> > If you can figure out how to get apr/apr-util/apache to build under
> > RedHat 9, please send me patches diffed against my current
> > httpd-2.0.46-0.1 tree in Subversion.  I think I've got an angle of
> > attack but haven't yet had time to try it.  Until then, I can't
> > compile a completely RedHat 9 generated RPM.
> [snip]
>
> The bug report that Philip found the other day said that in RedHat 9 the
> Kerberos stuff had moved to /usr/kerberos, IIRC, so wouldn't an
> appropriately placed "-I/usr/kerberos/include" and "-L/usr/kerberos/lib"
> fix it?

Probably, so.  That is one of two things I'm going to try as soon as I
have time to do it.

Patches welcome, of course.  :-)

Posted by Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>.

Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>

Re: Problem building Neon RPMS on RH9

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.
On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Chris Croome wrote:

> I'm probably doing somthing daft here... :-)

[snip]

> So I have checked out the latest version of neon from your site [3] and
> tried to build it:
>
>   [chris@snowball neon]$ find ./ -name neon.spec
>   ./trunk/neon.spec
>   ./tags/neon-0.23.5-1/neon.spec
>   ./tags/neon-0.23.9-1/neon.spec
>   ./tags/neon-0.22.0-1/neon.spec
>   ./tags/neon-0.21.2-1/neon.spec
>   ./tags/neon-0.21.3-1/neon.spec
>   ./tags/neon-0.23.2-1/neon.spec
>   ./tags/neon-0.21.3-2/neon.spec
>   ./tags/neon-0.21.3-3/neon.spec
>
> I guess I should use the latest tagged version?
>
>   [chris@snowball neon]$ rpm -ba ./tags/neon-0.23.9-1/neon.spec
>   -ba: unknown option
>
> Ah, the -ba is for older versions of rpm I think, try again...
>
>   [chris@snowball neon]$ rpmbuild ./tags/neon-0.23.9-1/neon.spec
>   error: File /usr/local/src/rpms/sources/neon-0.23.9-1/neon-0.23.9.tar.gz: No such file or directory

Hmm, I don't think I've EVER tried to build an RPM from OUTSIDE the RPM
Source directory before.....I don't know what that will do.

> This is where I'm stuck -- do I need to manually create the tgz file
> before building the RPM?

Nope, see below.

> Sorry if this is a stupid question...
>
> Cheers
>
> Chris

$ cd $HOME/rpms/sources
$ svn co http://summersoft.fay.ar.us:81/repos/neon/tags/neon-0.23.9-1
[it checks out the tag]
$ cd neon-0.23.9-1
$ make

.......Yep, seems to work fine for me on RedHat 9.

So.......what was it you were getting confused about?  :-)

Maybe you were expecting an already generated tar.gz file?  Just look in
the directory you checked out and you'll see the checked out neon tree.
The Makefile in the top-level generates the neon.tar.gz file necessary for the RPM build and
automatically calls the rpmbuild *.spec after it generates the *.tar.gz
file.

Hopefully that clears everything up?