Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Mark-nospam <te...@debusschere.com> on 2015/06/02 04:17:54 UTC

Admin authorization for modifying passwords, did it change ? how to apply admin role to a user ?

The last version I was using M17, I believe my scripts were able to bind
with a private apps admin user and then create new users with passwords.
I updated to M20, this operation now fails with : "Non-admin user cannot access another user's password to modify it"
I thought there was recent discussion on this but I failed to find it in the mail
archives and I don't see anything in changes between M17-M20 related to this.

Regardless, I would like to resolve in correct manner going forward.

Is it possible to create user A in partition A that can acquire Admin role for changing passwords
for other users in partition A or partition B etc.

Can this group be used to associate other users as admins? DN: cn=Administrators,ou=groups,ou=system

Or, is DN: uid=admin,ou=system the only user going forward which can make passwords changes
when the requesting user doesn't match user-password.

Thanks, Mark.

Re: Admin authorization for modifying passwords, did it change ? how to apply admin role to a user ?

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 02/06/15 08:49, Kiran Ayyagari a écrit :
> On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 10:17 AM, Mark-nospam <te...@debusschere.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The last version I was using M17, I believe my scripts were able to bind
>> with a private apps admin user and then create new users with passwords.
>> I updated to M20, this operation now fails with : "Non-admin user cannot
>> access another user's password to modify it"
>> I thought there was recent discussion on this but I failed to find it in
>> the mail
>> archives and I don't see anything in changes between M17-M20 related to
>> this.
>>
>> Regardless, I would like to resolve in correct manner going forward.
>>
>> Is it possible to create user A in partition A that can acquire Admin role
>> for changing passwords
>> for other users in partition A or partition B etc.
>>
>> Can this group be used to associate other users as admins? DN:
>> cn=Administrators,ou=groups,ou=system
>>
>> Or, is DN: uid=admin,ou=system the only user going forward which can make
>> passwords changes
>> when the requesting user doesn't match user-password.
>>
> currently this is the only way, (we have been discussing on how to grant
> other users admin privilege, but
> this is not there in the server yet)

You can also define an ACL to allow a set of users to modify the
userPassword attributes. This is a bit convoluted, but this is the way
to go.

We can try to give you some example of configuration later (a bit busy atm).

Re: Admin authorization for modifying passwords, did it change ? how to apply admin role to a user ?

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com