Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Johan Vervloet <jo...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/18 14:33:40 UTC

Fwd: Working with multiple programmers on an apache licensed project

Hello,

I have a question. I am working on a software project with 3 other people,
and we want to distribute our project under an Apache license.

We have 4 programmers. All programmers have contributed to the code. Most
source files contain sources contributed by more than 1 programmer. What
should we do with the copyright notice? In particular, what should we put
instead of

Copyright [yyyy] [name of copyright owner]

Is it sufficient to put 4 lines like this in the README file, one line for
each programmer? We can add a reference to the git repository, to see which
code was written by which person.

Thank you for considering our problem,
Johan

--
http://johanv.org

Re: Working with multiple programmers on an apache licensed project

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@apache.org>.
Johan Vervloet wrote on Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 14:42:25 +0100:
> 2013/2/18 Johan Vervloet <jo...@gmail.com>
>
> > We have 4 programmers. All programmers have contributed to the code. Most
> > source files contain sources contributed by more than 1 programmer. What
> > should we do with the copyright notice?
> >

> To answer my own question: This article of the sflc turned out to be very
> informative:
>  http://softwarefreedom.org/resources/2012/ManagingCopyrightInformation.html

Thanks for the link Johan.

Daniel