Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by newbie-gero <ch...@e7tech.com> on 2008/03/20 18:28:55 UTC

What are the ways to check Geronimo performance?

Hi lists,
i have read up about the Geronimo and it seems to be a very good application
server. However i like to check the performance of Geronimo.

So i like to ask all of you what are the ways to check for the scalability,
invocation speed, how much it can handle multi threaded functions, the
transport speed. Therefore i like to know what are the test tools i can use
or implement or how to go about it.

Do any of you have done these before?

Thanks in advance

Re: What are the ways to check Geronimo performance?

Posted by newbie-gero <ch...@e7tech.com>.

Posted by Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au>.
On 21/03/2008, at 4:53 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2008, at 10:28 AM, newbie-gero wrote:
>

>> Hi lists,
>> i have read up about the Geronimo and it seems to be a very good
>> application
>> server. However i like to check the performance of Geronimo.
>>
>> So i like to ask all of you what are the ways to check for the
>> scalability,
>> invocation speed, how much it can handle multi threaded functions,
>> the
>> transport speed. Therefore i like to know what are the test tools
>> i can use
>> or implement or how to go about it.
>>
>> Do any of you have done these before?
>
> Well, Matt Hogstrom did a lot of work along these lines but he's
> not very active at the moment.  We have a benchmarking application
> called daytrader that can be used to test a lot of functionality.
> However IMO it is rather difficult to get useful comparative
> information between app servers without an enormous amount of work
> and hardware.  Basically with tuning any well-known app server goes
> pretty darn fast, and in any particular benchmarketing study
> usually the one that the organization that does the study is more
> familiar with wins due to better tuning.  I think the main use of
> apps like this is to pinpoint specific performance bottlenecks and
> provide a relatively controlled environment to try out solutions
> for them.
>
> some of the things you are likely to need to get meaningful results:
> one or more real servers (multiprocessor multicore)
> lots of client machines
> a c-based test harness (Matt couldn't find a java based test
> harness that could keep up with the server)

FWIW, you may want to give a try to tsung, http://tsung.erlang-
projects.org/. It is implemented in Erlang and, hence, can simulate a
ludicrously large number of clients from a single host.

Thanks,
Gianny

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 20, 2008, at 1:28 PM, newbie-gero wrote:

> Hi lists,
> i have read up about the Geronimo and it seems to be a very good
> application
> server. However i like to check the performance of Geronimo.
>
> So i like to ask all of you what are the ways to check for the
> scalability,
> invocation speed, how much it can handle multi threaded functions, the
> transport speed. Therefore i like to know what are the test tools i
> can use
> or implement or how to go about it.
>
> Do any of you have done these before?

You can find some Geronimo performance measurements as follows:

Geronimo 1.1 data is here -- http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/Geronimo-1.1.1-PerformanceReport.pdf

Geronimo 2.0 data is here -- http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/performance/geronimo/2.0/Geronimo2.0.2PerformanceReport-v01draft.pdf

--kevan