Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2007/08/07 11:01:53 UTC

Main vs Framework

Hi,

I am looking at the two binaries to be released. The only difference I can see
is;

 a) Main contains the Main class and th Main-Class manifest entry.

 b) The Framework has a ExportPackage manifest entry.

Maybe I missed something, but is it worthwhile to maintain two such similar
artifacts?

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: Main vs Framework

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Tuesday 07 August 2007 17:18, Karl Pauls wrote:
> Does that make it more clear?

Perhaps ;o)

Hasn't 72 hours voting period long past... just kidding.

Cheers

Re: Main vs Framework

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Friday 10 August 2007 23:59, Richard S. Hall wrote:
>
>> Another thing is separation of concerns. People may want to make really
>> fancy launchers, so it make sense to keep the launcher separate. I
>> prefer a simple launcher, but the idea was that we could also have other
>> special purpose launchers too.
>>

> Understood.
> I am just surprised to see two jar files with almost identical content, and to
> me that is a DRY flag coming up... Although I understand that it is not the
> case at source level.

Originally, they were separate, but the bundle plugin gave us the
ability to combine them...

-> richard

Re: Main vs Framework

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Re: Main vs Framework

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Re: Main vs Framework

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
> Hi,
>
> I am looking at the two binaries to be released. The only difference I can see
> is;
>
>  a) Main contains the Main class and th Main-Class manifest entry.
>
>  b) The Framework has a ExportPackage manifest entry.
>
> Maybe I missed something, but is it worthwhile to maintain two such similar
> artifacts?

Well, the thing is that the main project does more then just create
this artifact. It does create the basic felix project we released
earlier (felix-1.0.0.zip). In other words, all one needs to do to get
a simple felix shell is to build the main project and call "java -jar
bin/felix.jar". So that is the justification for the main project.
Additionally, since the framework is geared towards easy embedding we
just have "our" main class in the main project and not in the
framework project.

Does that make it more clear?

regards,

Karl