Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org> on 2005/09/28 17:08:58 UTC

maintainer mode (was Re: httpd 2.3.01 and t/modules/proxy.t)

Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
> Geoffrey Young wrote:
>
>> to that end, this patch seems to do the trick.  tested against 2.0.54 and
>> httpd trunk.  someone else will need to test 2.0.47 since I'm getting odd
>> compile warnings and coredumps in httpd at the moment on fc3
>> (unrelated to
>> mod_perl) for that version.
>

> While I'm thinking about it, from SOURCE, not ports on FreeBSD,
>
> 2.0.48 -> 2.0.50 of httpd with threaded apr don't compile on FreeBSD
> undermaintainer mode because or apr_threadmutex.c warnings/errors.

I don't worry about official releases compiling without errors or under
maintainer mode - they're already out there, so there's nothing we can do to
change the compile warnings or errors that exist.

but you're right, I wasn't thinking that the issue could be the extra flags
maintainer mode added.  I was just thinking it was the difference between my
old (pre drive failure) fc1 install where everything was fine and my new
(post new drive) fc3 install.

> 2.0.47 bus core dumps when you attempt to run it despite compiling under
> maintainer mode.
> I believe this is your same core dump mentioned above.

yeah, sounds like it.  mod_perl won't even build for me because httpd -l
dumps core

$ gdb /apache/2.0.47/prefork/perl-5.8.7/bin/httpd
(gdb) run -l
[Switching to Thread -151487584 (LWP 31636)]
0x080785b7 in register_hooks ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x080785b7 in register_hooks ()
#1  0x080675b0 in ap_setup_prelinked_modules (process=0x92df120) at config.c:645
#2  0x0806a937 in main (argc=2, argv=0xfef17724) at main.c:439

> so FreeBSD looks like 2.0.51 threaded and 2.0.48 not threaded

but no port or rpm system should be building with maintainer flags, right?

Re: maintainer mode (was Re: httpd 2.3.01 and t/modules/proxy.t)

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Joe Orton wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 11:08:58AM -0400, Geoffrey Young wrote:
>
>>Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
>>
>>>2.0.47 bus core dumps when you attempt to run it despite compiling under
>>>maintainer mode.
>>>I believe this is your same core dump mentioned above.
>>
>>yeah, sounds like it.  mod_perl won't even build for me because httpd -l
>>dumps core
>

> Yup, this is the specific bug I mentioned.  If using an old version of
> gcc is not practical you can apply the patches to fix it in APR:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi?rev=58984&view=rev
>
> though this somewhat erodes the value of testing against "2.0.47" or
> whatever.

somewhat, but not entirely.  the things that concern me most are macros,
constants, subroutines, etc that exist only in later versions that somehow
creep into our codebase inadvertently, making it difficult or impossible to
compile or run mod_perl against older versions of httpd.  so, in that sense
getting httpd to compile so we can "test" against it is a good thing.

so, thanks for the link :)

--Geoff

Re: maintainer mode (was Re: httpd 2.3.01 and t/modules/proxy.t)

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:
>>While I'm thinking about it, from SOURCE, not ports on FreeBSD,
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I don't worry about official releases compiling without errors or under
> maintainer mode - they're already out there, so there's nothing we can do to
> change the compile warnings or errors that exist.
Yeah I figured.

> yeah, sounds like it.  mod_perl won't even build for me because httpd -l
> dumps core
Yep thats the one!

> but no port or rpm system should be building with maintainer flags, right?
ports and packages on FreeBSD do not.  There are however options not on by default to enable them
in ports.  The ports Makefiles are used to build the pacakges, but again, this option is not on for that.

--
END
                 Nothing is impossible.

Consultant / http://p6m7g8.net/Resume/