Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org> on 2013/12/13 06:45:48 UTC

Re: Feature request for adding custom properties to a document.

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013, Eric Hohnbaum wrote:
> When using a .DOCX the problem is different.  The issue becomes the
> performance of writing each new properties once the size of the
> collection reaches into the thousands.  The first thousand or so
> properties aren't that bad, but gets much worse as the collection gets
> larger.  In my time trials, monitoring timing each batch of 25 property
> writes, the first batch of 25 entries took 0.028 seconds, the batch at
> the 1k mark took 1.1 seconds, the batch at 2k took 4.3 seconds, and the
> batch at 3K took 10.1 seconds.  I have reason to believe the size of the
> dataset may reach much larger than 3k.

Are you able to profile the code a bit more, and see where the time is
being taken? If it's in xmlbeans, we may have limited means to fix it, but
it may be possible to change our calls. If it's in POI itself, then we can
maybe do the lookups / checking in a different way to speed it up

If you can, I'd suggest you open a new bug in bugzilla for this, then
attach the results of your profiling (both from your email, and from a bit
more to check exactly where in contains() the time goes), then we can take
it from there

Nick