Posted to xmlrpc-dev@ws.apache.org by Ryan Hoegg <rh...@isisnetworks.net> on 2002/03/27 04:21:49 UTC

XML-RPC and HttpClient from Jakarta Commons

Hello all,

Quick link to HttpClient: http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/

After a bit more research into the Apache projects I think I may want to
revisit the inclusion of the HttpClient class from the Jakarta Commons.
 As you may have guessed I am new to the ASF projects as a whole and am
struggling to get my head around the alliances and feuds between the
individual projects and project groups.  I spent a considerable amount
of time reading about Turbine, Avalon, the Commons, Cocoon, and even
Jetspeed and Tomcat to a lesser extent.

One thing I don't understand is the relationship between this library
(as it is now a part of the Apache XML Project) and the Jakarta Project.
 This library is available in Java only as far as I can tell, so why be
a part of one and not the other?  If the developers of the library (you)
had decided against Jakarta for some reason, this would be the first
reason not to introduce a dependency on a class from the Jakarta
Commons.  My only objection there is that there is nothing keeping us
from including a static version of the HttpClient class and only
upgrading when we see fit.

In a thread early this month we began discussing the benefits of
improving the HTTP client support within the XML-RPC library.  I think I
am prepared to do that now:

- Because of the nature of XML-RPC, more programmers will need to use
client functionality only than server functionality.  I found myself in
precisely this situation when I was asked to consume an ASP's XML-RPC
service in order to complete a task for a customer.

- Some XML-RPC services in production use today require extended HTTP
capabilities such as cookies, custom headers, and HTTP 1.1 features such
as chunking and compression.  In addition, some use SSL.  This library
currently must be modified by the user in order to support any of these
features.

My recommendation is to change the code of XmlRpcClient, and
XmlRpcClientLite to use HttpClient from the Commons to communicate with
XML-RPC servers.  This is because it includes support for all of the
features mentioned.  One feature that has already been added to this
library would have been provided by this change: the use of HTTP Basic
Authentication.

I'd be interested in hearing the committers' thoughts on this, and I'll
volunteer to make a stab at the change if it is thought to be worthwhile.

Ryan Hoegg

Re: XML-RPC and HttpClient from Jakarta Commons

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
Ryan, my apologies for taking so long in responding to your message.
I haven't heard from any of the other committers on this topic, but I
am very much in favor of your proposal.  My only concern is that
currently the XML-RPC JAR file is self-contained when used as a client
or in an applet.  If you can minimize the external dependency impact
and are still interested in doing some work on this project, I offer a
strong +1.

- Dan

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.