Posted to modules-dev@httpd.apache.org by Mike Meyer <mw...@mired.org> on 2010/09/24 14:58:46 UTC

Possible bug in rules.mk?

In trying to get my module makefiles working properly, I noticed two
things that seem to be at odds with each other (this is the 2.2
distro; apologies if it's fixed later):

1) modules.mk typically makes the *.la file depend on the *.slo files.
2) build/rules.mk in the distro changes the output of mkdepend from
   .o: to .lo:, meaning the .lo files now depend on the results.

But with that modules.mk, nothing depends on the .lo files. So
dependencies in the .deps file generated by this depend: rule won't
cause anything to be built, because nothing depends on the .lo files
(they get built as a side effect of building the .slo files via
SH_*_COMPILE rules) that they have dependencies for.

This is easy to check - make sure your dependencies are up to date and
everything is built, touch a .h file, and try running make again.
Nothing builds.

Changing the .lo: to .slo: in rules.mk and trying the same experiment
caused the expected behavior - the rebuilding of the various dependent
files.

Or am I overlooking something here?

   Thanks,
   <mike