Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> on 2011/02/26 21:34:17 UTC

putting a border around 0.92 release

Stack and I were chatting on IRC about settling with should get into 0.92 before pulling the trigger on the release.

Stack thinks we need online region schema editing. I agree because per-table coprocessor loading is configured via table attributes. We'd also need some kind of notification of schema update to trigger various actions in the regionserver. (For CPs, (re)load.)

I'd also really like to see some form of secondary indexing. This is an important feature for HBase to have. All of our in house devs ask for this sooner or later in one form or another. Other projects have options in this arena, while HBase used to in core, but no longer. We have three people starting on this ASAP. I'd like to at least do co-design with the community. We should aim for 'simple and effective'.

There are 14 blockers: https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+HBASE+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%220.92.0%22+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+priority+%3D+Blocker

Additionally, 22 marked as critical: https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+%3D+HBASE+AND+fixVersion+%3D+%220.92.0%22+AND+resolution+%3D+Unresolved+AND+priority+%3D+Critical

Best regards,

    - Andy

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back.
  - Piet Hein (via Tom White)

Re: putting a border around 0.92 release

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Yeah, time-based.  May 1st for 0.92 branch!  +1 on big changes out on
branch keeping trunk relatively releasable at all times.  I like your
list J-D.  0.92 should run on hadoop-0.20 through hadoop trunk at time
of our 0.92 branch.  If all are good w/ that, lets do a pass over 0.92
issues so its reflective of what we think we might do in the 0.92
timeframe (will help Lars too).

St.Ack

Re: putting a border around 0.92 release

Posted by Ryan Rawson <ry...@gmail.com>.
I'd generally vote for a time-based release.  The "big feature"
releases while are good for attracting new users with new features,
present a problem in that it can really delay releases for a long
time.  More releases are better!  If a feature takes more than 3
months then it's too big to implement in one go.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
I like how you put it Gary and go with your reasoning that for our
development velocity is not (yet) sufficient for linux kernel river of
releases (w/ Todd fishing out the odd one to stabilize on).  I agree
even/odd for now and timeboxing is the way to go, especially after
finishing the Linus interview where he's feature/smeature, they come
and go; the real question is are they ready, w/ users and support.

I said May 1st cut-off above.  After reading the article, I'm thinking
April 15th if not April 1st (or wait to settle at the Hackathon).

St.Ack

Posted by Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@yahoo.com>.
My vote is odd-even stable.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
I knew I should I have used <rant> </rant> around my reply!

> Was the second 0.89 a failure? If I recall correctly, various people
> ran it, found bugs, and reported them. We then fixed the bugs for the
> third 0.89 release. Doing the broken one got us all testing a similar
> set of bits (including some more adventurous users) and we used that
> feedback to fix things up. 0.90.0 had a few bugs, but in general I'd
> say 0.90.1 is a pretty nice release.

I was not saying it was a failure, my point was more like "branching
for some features might be good, but it's not a general solution". The
master rewrite was a pretty huge change that affected everything,
maybe it's just a special case. In any case, DR 2 wasn't really usable
without a lot of fixes to the master and in DR 3 we rolled back most
of that stuff. At the same time, we were badly in need for a release
so having "prod ready" DRs kind of became necessary. Maybe DR 3 should
have been called 0.90 instead?

> If anything I wish we'd done one more 0.89 release after the new
> master got merged :) Even if it's broken, it's a valuable thing to
> learn from.

I agree, we were a long time without any sort of release.

> I mentioned this interview to a few folks last week -- I thought it
> was pretty interesting:
> http://www.itwire.com/opinion-and-analysis/open-sauce/44975-linus-torvalds-looking-back-looking-forward?tmpl=component&print=1&layout=default&page=

That's a pretty good interview, thanks for sharing! Soooo is our idea
of using odd numbered release as DRs bad? Should we just release more
often like every 3 months? I vote Stack as our Linus!

J-D

Re: putting a border around 0.92 release

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
> From: Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>
> Was the second 0.89 a failure? If I recall correctly, various people
> ran it, found bugs, and reported them. We then fixed the bugs for the
> third 0.89 release. Doing the broken one got us all testing a similar
> set of bits (including some more adventurous users) and we used that

I do not feel that putting out a broken DR is a failure by definition.

There's no excuse for releasing known toxic waste but a DR that has issues may have issues not found until users try out real applications. That is something very valuable about open source, that a subset of users exist interested in doing this.

   - Andy

Re: putting a border around 0.92 release

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org> wrote:
> I think we tried a couple of times to release according to a schedule
> in the past but always failed, be it 0.2, 0.20 or 0.90, and always
> ended with something like an alpha or preview release at agreed-upon
> time.
>
> On on hand, releasing more often would give users access to features
> earlier (those already committed). On the other hand, when you are
> developing one feature and it takes a lot of time, you'd like to delay
> a release to have it included (kudos to the TM team who agreed on not
> putting CP in 0.90 when we thought it was only a few weeks from
> release and it ended up taking a few months to stabilize).

Yep, but I think this has been successful. The CP API as I understand
it has gone through a couple incompatible changes while living in
trunk as different people have started experimenting with it. Keeping
it away from the general userbase has allowed the API to coalesce into
something full-featured while not having to support a bunch of
backward-compatibility issues.

While we always have the temptation to throw out new features to
users, we have to keep in mind the support burden as well :)

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
[...]

Let's do our best effort?

J-D

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
> From: Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>
[...]
> So, my vote is either:
> plan a: hybrid model - 0.91.X becomes a time-based release series
> where we drop trunk once every month or two, and 0.92.0 is gated on
> features
> or:
> plan b: strict time-based: we release 0.92.0 around summit, and lock
> down the branch at least a month or so ahead of time for bugfix only.

I vote for plan A.

    - Andy

Re: putting a border around 0.92 release

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Lars George <la...@gmail.com>.
+1 on 0.91 and have something for the summit. Also great to box the feature set now as I will base the book on 0.92 - anything else would futile.

Posted by Lars George <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
>> should we also support 0.20 at the same time
Definitely.

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
Woah those are huge tasks!

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
Woah those are huge tasks!

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
I'm in favor of releasing major versions more often so that the
changes be less disruptive, the sooner the better.

We'll never know for sure, but I wonder if releasing more often
compared to waiting for those features would put those same features
in the hands of the users sooner or later. Like would releasing 0.92
without online schema edits and others and then releasing 0.94 not too
far enough would coincide with a 0.92 with all those features in
another timeline.

J-D

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
I agree.

We did get code back from an internal dev group for the secondary indexing implementation but I don't think we are satisfied with its current state.

Also I have been swamped, therefore remiss, in online schema edit.

Shouldn't hold up a release on our account. Next one.

   - Andy

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
I agree.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.