Posted to users@archiva.apache.org by "Stallard,David" <st...@oclc.org> on 2013/01/21 16:06:55 UTC

Problem when Archiva cleans up snapshots of released artifacts

We're running Archiva 1.3.5, and a few months ago we enabled the
repository setting which causes Archiva to delete snapshots of released
artifacts, which at first seemed to work fine.  We have cases where
snapshot builds of an artifact need to be done AFTER the artifact has
been released.  In these cases, maven fails to upload to Archiva with
either a 409 or 400 error.  This wasn't an issue until we enabled the
deletion of released snapshots.

In one example today of building a 1.1-SNAPSHOT artifact after 1.1 had
been released, the error was 409.  I went out to Archiva's directory
structure and saw that we had a 1.1-SNAPSHOT directory out there but
there was nothing in it except maven-metadata files.  I manually deleted
this directory and then did another build, and it once again failed
during the upload but this time with error 400.  Checking the directory
structure, it had once again created a 1.1-SNAPSHOT directory only
containing metadata files.

It might be unusual that we sometimes build snapshots after a version
has been released, but it's something that will need to continue to
occur.  I'm wondering if this means that we just won't be able to use
the "delete released snapshots" option -- I'm assuming that's the source
of the problem.

Any thoughts or suggestions on resolving this?

Thanks,
David

Re: Problem when Archiva cleans up snapshots of released artifacts

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2013/1/22 Stallard,David <st...@oclc.org>:
> We have different repositories for snapshots and releases.  It looks
> like maybe when Archiva deletes old snapshots because a release exists,
> it leaves metadata files sitting around.  Maybe that's what is causing
> the error?
normally nope.
Did you try with a more recent version ? (1.4-Mx)

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.