Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Darrell Esau <da...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/10 02:54:28 UTC

migrating from axis

Hi all,

New user, not a lot of Web Service experience overall.

I have a few web services that are generated from Eclipse's axis plugin tools.
I really don't like the WSDL and config files it creates, seems way
overly-complicated for the simple webservices that I use.

Looking at CXF, this looks much simpler.

Starting to try to migrate, the only stumble I've found is this:
I use javax.xml.rpc.server.ServiceLifecycle for the init() method, so
I can get a ServletEndpointContext (running in Tomcat).  I need to be
able to get the servlet context (or something similar) to read a
config properties file in.

Is there a similar lifecycle paradigm in the CXF world?

Thank you,
-d

Re: migrating from axis

Posted by jim ma <ma...@gmail.com>.
Looks like you are trying to use CXF to create  jax-rpc web service . CXF
does not support the deprecated jax-rpc spec. Why not create jax-ws web
service ?

Cheers,
Jim

Re: migrating from axis

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Fri October 9 2009 8:54:28 pm Darrell Esau wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> New user, not a lot of Web Service experience overall.
>
> I have a few web services that are generated from Eclipse's axis plugin
>  tools. I really don't like the WSDL and config files it creates, seems way
>  overly-complicated for the simple webservices that I use.
>
> Looking at CXF, this looks much simpler.
>
> Starting to try to migrate, the only stumble I've found is this:
> I use javax.xml.rpc.server.ServiceLifecycle for the init() method, so
> I can get a ServletEndpointContext (running in Tomcat).  I need to be
> able to get the servlet context (or something similar) to read a
> config properties file in.
>
> Is there a similar lifecycle paradigm in the CXF world?

The normal way of going about some of this is using some "Spring" stuff.
Usually, you would make your bean ApplicationContextAware (implement the
interface) which would inject the Spring ApplicationContext into your bean.
From there, you can usually query a bunch of things.    I really don't
remember how to get the servlet context things into the ApplicationContext.
Might need to google something similar.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org