Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Alex McLintock <al...@OWAL.co.uk> on 2002/09/03 18:44:29 UTC

Hanging Struts

Hi folks,

I have a simple Struts application which decides to hang and not serve
pages after some time. It seems to be database related because the index
pages which don't require the database still work, whereas the ones which
require the database don't respond.

The database appears to be still working since other things can access it
fine. A restart of tomcat fixes the problem - but that of course is hardly
a permanent solution.

I am using a fairly recent version of struts, Tomcat 4.13b, a farily recent
MySQL, RedHat 7.2, mm.jdbc driver,

I see on this mailing list that other people have had problems with hanging
if left "overnight". I have tried to use a "refresh" setting in my
struts-config.xml but that doesn;t seem to have cured the problem.

Alex

Openweb Analysts Ltd, London.
Software For Complex Websites http://www.OWAL.co.uk/
Open Source Software Companies please register here
http://www.OWAL.co.uk/oss_support/

Re: Hanging Struts

Posted by slickdev <sl...@comcast.net>.
check your handling of how you close the db connections.
if you find that you can make the app hang after n db accesses, you can
troubleshoot by changing the maxconnections in the struts-config... assuming
that's where you specify the connection params.

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

RE: Hanging Struts

Posted by Jacob Hookom <ho...@uwec.edu>.
I was having severe issues with special tags and the new tomcat (4.1+).
I found it to be an issue of the new tag pooling features and either my
own, or OS tags that I was using that weren't up to par.  I ended up
getting memory spikes that were extremely drastic.  I solved the problem
by reworking code to only use Struts or JSTL tags-- problems went away.

A lot of those issues came up while stress testing special
iterative-type tags.

-Jacob

---

RE: Hanging Struts