Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jerry M <te...@malcolms.com> on 2010/08/17 02:05:59 UTC

Updating spam signatures file

  I see that there's an update bat file available to refresh the spam
signature file.  Is that only a manual process (to update)?  Or is there
an auto-update capability built into spamassassin?

If it is manual, what is the recommend procedure?  Just log on to the
server when spam starts appearing to get out of hand and run the
update?  Set up a cron job that runs every few days?  How often does the
signature file typically get updated?

Again, I'm brand new to SpamAssassin.  So I still have a bit to learn...

Thx.

Jerry

Re: Updating spam signatures file

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 17.08.10 07:49, Suhag P Desai wrote:
> I gone through http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/RuleUpdates
>
> Below is my version..
> SpamAssassin Server version 3.2.5
>   running on Perl 5.8.8
>   with SSL support (IO::Socket::SSL 1.31)
>   with zlib support (Compress::Zlib 2.024)
>
> I have two directories.. under /var/lib/spamassassin
> 3.002005  3.003001

it appears that you have two SpamAssassin versions installed.
Or maybe you downgraded from 3.3.1 ?
check for that carefully, remove the old version, restart.

> But when I list the directories then it shows that the last update was done
> on 24th July 2010. I am wondering  that since 24th july  there is no update
> from SA.

the rules aren'e being updated that often. SA uses many network cheks that
give good result.
see razor, pyzor, dcc, uribl and other network checks.
WinError #98652: Operation completed successfully.

RE: Updating spam signatures file

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, Suhag P Desai wrote:

> I gone through http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/RuleUpdates
>
> Below is my version..
> SpamAssassin Server version 3.2.5
>  running on Perl 5.8.8
>  with SSL support (IO::Socket::SSL 1.31)
>  with zlib support (Compress::Zlib 2.024)
>
> I have two directories.. under /var/lib/spamassassin
> 3.002005  3.003001
>
> But when I list the directories then it shows that the last update was
> done on 24th July 2010. I am wondering that since 24th july there is no
> update from SA.

3.2.5 is several years old now, it's very likely the only time you'll see
updates is when there's an OMG! bug to fix.

I strongly suggest you try to update to 3.3.1 so that you can get current
code and updates of rules.

As I said, the updates aren't happening as regularly as we want, and we're
working on it. The largest problem is a shortage of sample messages
against which to test and set the scores.

   Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history,
   nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the
   United States is in now.                          -- Arnold Toynbee
  8 days until the 1931st anniversary of the destruction of Pompeii

Re: Updating spam signatures file

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
  On 8/16/2010 10:19 PM, Suhag P Desai wrote:
> I gone throughhttp://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/RuleUpdates
>
> Below is my version..
> SpamAssassin Server version 3.2.5
>    running on Perl 5.8.8
>    with SSL support (IO::Socket::SSL 1.31)
>    with zlib support (Compress::Zlib 2.024)
>
> I have two directories.. under /var/lib/spamassassin
> 3.002005  3.003001
>
> But when I list the directories then it shows that the last update was done
> on 24th July 2010. I am wondering  that since 24th july  there is no update
> from SA.
>
> Please someone clarify..
You are running SpamAssassin 3.2.5. The entire 3.2.x branch is now
"legacy" and as a result its ruleset is now stable. It will only be
updated to fix severe issues such as RBL shutdowns, etc.

In general, when a new branch is released, the previous branch enters
rule stability shortly afterwards. The current release is 3.3.1 (so
we've released two builds in the 3.3.x branch).

(It should be noted that sa-update only updates rules, not the code base)

  This "limited updates" policy for outdated branches actually makes
sense for multiple reasons.

1) Those who really want an updated version of SA would have upgraded to
3.3.x shortly after release.  Anyone wanting a highly stable, rarely
changing, version of SA would be running the prior release.

2) backporting rules to 3.2.x involves extra testing, which drains
developer resources from the current release.

3) those running the old code are often subject to code-based accuracy
problems that cannot be fixed by a rule update. (ie: the HTML parsers,
etc.) If you can live with the code issues, you should be able to live
with a stable ruleset.

RE: Updating spam signatures file

> I see that there's an update bat file available to refresh the spam
> signature file.  Is that only a manual process (to update)?  Or is there
an
> auto-update capability built into spamassassin?

Yes, it's called sa-update, and you should be running it daily from cron.

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/RuleUpdates

> How often does the signature file typically get updated?

Not as often as it should be... :)

We're working on that.

> Again, I'm brand new to SpamAssassin.  So I still have a bit to learn...

Welcome aboard! Suggestion: read through the last few months of the SA
list archives. You'll get a feel for the common questions (and common
answers) and get an introduction to some of the players.

   Gun Control laws aren't enacted to control guns, they are enacted
   to control people: catholics (1500s), japanese peasants (1600s),
   blacks (1860s), italian immigrants (1911), the irish (1920s),
   jews (1930s), blacks (1960s), the poor (always)

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.