Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Sri <gs...@yahoo.com> on 2005/10/18 02:17:34 UTC

[users@httpd] urgent configuration file help needed confused about that

Hi,

 I need to configure the name based virtual hosts(multiple websites for single ip) and ip based virtual hosts in apache2.

I am reall got confused about the which file i need to configure i.e /etc/apache2/apache2.conf
or /etc/apache2/site-available/default file.Please help me in this.

I want to know what is the purpose of apache2.conf and sites-available/default file purpose.

I am really confused now which file is important to enter tha virtual host details.

If i want to change the default document root i have to change on etc/apache2/site-available/default file that is why i got confused

Thanks for your help

---------------------------------

Re: [users@httpd] urgent configuration file help needed confused about that

Posted by Stuart Low <st...@serverpeak.com>.
Heya,

Ok, you haven't mentioned it but your paths seem to indicate it's this
is on Debian.

>  I need to configure the name based virtual hosts(multiple websites
> for single ip) and ip based virtual hosts in apache2.

Ok.

> I am reall got confused about the which file i need to configure
> i.e /etc/apache2/apache2.conf
> or /etc/apache2/site-available/default file.Please help me in this.
> I want to know what is the purpose of apache2.conf and
> sites-available/default file purpose.

Neither. apache2.conf defines server variables. Ie. Things like which
modules to load, default variables like defining what the server root is
etc. You probably shouldn't bother modifying it.

The default file defines the default virtual host. Ie. The virtualhost
to default to if there's no match in other virtualhosts. You add your
virtualhosts (preferably on a file by file basis) to files such as site-
available/mydomain.conf. You add your <VirtualHost> statements etc. to
those.

> I am really confused now which file is important to enter tha virtual
> host details.

Seperate files.

> If i want to change the default document root i have to change on
> etc/apache2/site-available/default file that is why i got confused

Yes, that's correct. Ie. you want to change the "default location to
serve files from".

Stuart