Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Kenneth Tyler <ke...@8thfold.com> on 2010/08/12 23:54:32 UTC

bad utf8 character

so i tried importing some data from ms sql server2005 into couchdb 1.0.0
the data imports fine

but when i try to open custom views in futon i get a "bad utf8
character" message, and futon is trashed, after that it won't display
anything but the message and won't go to any screen but the custom
views screen

is there any way i can filter my text to get rid of whatever is
causing this error

or am i just out of luck

ken tyler

Re: bad utf8 character

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On 13 Aug 2010, at 01:37, Kenneth Tyler wrote:

>> the tests can be a bit finicky. I'd say a 99% success rate means you have nothing to worry about.
>
> ok, thanks
>
> looks like i'll just have to try and avoid documents with the unknown
> "bad" text in them when i import

Force a UTF-8 encoding in your code before sending to CouchDB. If you think the data you have is already in UTF-8, then decode it into a native Unicode representation, and then round-trip it back to UTF-8 encoding. Your tools should have an option to replace unknown byte sequences with a character of your choice.

Re: bad utf8 character

Posted by Kenneth Tyler <ke...@8thfold.com>.
you'd get an error on save, not load.

> Chris
thanks chris, that would make things much easier

i really appreciate all the time to take to help me

ken tyler

Re: bad utf8 character

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.
On Aug 12, 2010, at 5:37 PM, Kenneth Tyler wrote:

>> the tests can be a bit finicky. I'd say a 99% success rate means you have nothing to worry about.
>
> ok, thanks
>
> looks like i'll just have to try and avoid documents with the unknown
> "bad" text in them when i import

The upgrade might help too. I'm not sure exactly when, but at some point we started validating the input before accepting it, so you'd get an error on save, not load.

Chris

Re: bad utf8 character

Posted by Kenneth Tyler <ke...@8thfold.com>.

Re: bad utf8 character

Posted by J Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.
On Aug 12, 2010, at 3:23 PM, Kenneth Tyler wrote:

> sorry, i was wrong, i still have couchdb .11 on my mac
>
> all the tests pass except reader_acl...  if i click on "run with
> debugger" it just runs and runs and never stops

the tests can be a bit finicky. I'd say a 99% success rate means you have nothing to worry about.

> should i upgrade ?
>
> everytime i try to install couch lately it bites me in the butt...
> except, ironically, on windows, where install is a one-click deal ...
> sooner or later i expect things will straighten out
>
> do you thing a reinstall might fix this ?

hmm, you might try the OSX 1-click package here:

http://www.couch.io/get

cant say if it will help.

Re: bad utf8 character

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@gmail.com>.
This happened to me recently. This is the only test that writes to the
configuration files. Make sure <prefix>/etc/couchdb is writable for the user
running couch.

Re: bad utf8 character

Posted by Kenneth Tyler <ke...@8thfold.com>.

Re: bad utf8 character