Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by Scania 2019 <cr...@gmail.com> on 2020/09/08 12:10:46 UTC

Request for authentication config using Active Directory

Good day,

I would like to authenticate VCL users using Active Directory.

Kindly assist me with instructions to achieve this. The ones I have seen on
the VCL website are not clear to me.

Regards,
CS

Re: Request for authentication config using Active Directory

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.
Hi CS,

I don't have a list of instructions specific to AD.

a) Your Active Directory server has an SSL certificate it uses to encrypt LDAP
connections.  That SSL certificate will have been signed by a root level
certificate - either from a public certificate authority (CA), in which case
you would have submitted a certificate signing request (CSR) to the CA, or
from a root level certificate you've generated for your AD site.  If you are
using a certificate signed by a public CA, you shouldn't need to install
anything on your web server.  If you are using a certificate signed by a root
level certificate you've generated, you'll need to install that root level
certificate to your web server, and possibly any intermediate certificates
between the root certificate and the one used for LDAP.  I've never run an AD
server.  So, I can't explain where you'd find the root level certificate or
how you would export it.  Once you do get it exported, you'd install it on the
web server as is explained on our documentation page.

Alternatively, you can configure your web server not to validate the
certificate (though with less security) by setting "TLS_REQCERT never" in
/etc/openldap/ldap.conf (you'll need to restart httpd after making changes to
ldap.conf).

b) If everything is correct in the query you listed, it should work. I'm
thinking the single quotes around UDB may not be the correct quotes.  It
should be the single quote key that also has the double quote on it when
shifted.

Josh

--

Posted by Scania 2019 <cr...@gmail.com>.