Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Christopher Maloney <vo...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/17 02:13:57 UTC

Re FOR-922. Updating docs

Okay, I'm getting started.  I have in mind trying to work on some of the
documentation.  I used to use Subversion quite a bit, but that was a long
time ago.  I've installed the latest version, and am getting used to it
again.  I've "co"ed and built the latest Forrest, and I think I know how to
do patches.
When I get a patch done, should I send it here to the dev list, or should I
just attach it to the Jira ticket?
Klortho

Re: Re FOR-922. Updating docs

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Christopher Maloney wrote:
> >
> > Okay, I'm getting started.  I have in mind trying to work on some of the
> > documentation.

Welcome.

It would be useful to also subscribe to the "svn" mail list
so that you see changes immediately, if other people also
work on the docs.
http://forrest.apache.org/mail-lists.html

Also the "ForrestBar" is useful for targetted search of
mail lists and issue tracker, etc.
http://forrest.apache.org/tools/forrestbar.html

-David

Re: Re FOR-922. Updating docs

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Christopher Maloney wrote:
> I have two questions about Subversion.  I think I understand it, but I just
> want to make sure.
>
> I just checked out, per the instructions, using
> svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk forrest
> and got revision 755077.  I then went to the repository on my browser, here
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/
> and watched while the revision climbed to 755090.  Is the one repository
> shared by all the Apache projects?  Is that why it changes so fast?

Yes that is correct.

The "svn" mail list will show just the forrest changes.

> My second question, on the ticket, you wrote "Use head of our SVN trunk
> (i.e. 0.9-dev) ".  Is that what I got with the above checkout?

Yes, you did.

However, because i made another change a few minutes ago,
you now do not have "HEAD". Do 'svn update' to get the new HEAD.

>  I see in
> main/build.xml the line
>       <property name="forrest.version" value="0.9-dev"/>
> Is that definitive?

When we make the next release, i.e. "0.9" then one of
the release tasks will be to increment that to "0.10-dev".
The SVN trunk will always use a version number with "-dev"
appended.

-David

Re: Re FOR-922. Updating docs

Posted by Christopher Maloney <vo...@gmail.com>.
I have two questions about Subversion.  I think I understand it, but I just
want to make sure.

I just checked out, per the instructions, using
svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk forrest
and got revision 755077.  I then went to the repository on my browser, here
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/
and watched while the revision climbed to 755090.  Is the one repository
shared by all the Apache projects?  Is that why it changes so fast?

My second question, on the ticket, you wrote "Use head of our SVN trunk
(i.e. 0.9-dev) ".  Is that what I got with the above checkout?  I see in
main/build.xml the line
      <property name="forrest.version" value="0.9-dev"/>
Is that definitive?

Thanks!

Re: Re FOR-922. Updating docs

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.