Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by foo bar <st...@gmail.com> on 2021/08/27 13:38:27 UTC

ArtemisMQ Upgrade: How to determine if specific client version works with server version

 Hello,

Is there some compatibility matrix we can use to determine if a specific
client version will work with a specific server version? We are looking
to upgrade from 2.15 to 2.18. We have looked at the release notes from 2.15
to 2.18 and noted nothing about requiring a new client. Is it generally
safe to assume that this would work unless otherwise noted in the release
notes? We have a fairly substantial MQ deployment, it would be much easier
to upgrade the server without having to upgrade all of the clients.

Thanks

Re: ArtemisMQ Upgrade: How to determine if specific client version works with server version

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.
There is no compatibility matrix as there is a concerted effort to maintain
backwards compatibility with older clients. Even when we make core protocol
changes older clients should still work, just without the new
functionality. If there is a breaking change for some reason it would be
called out in the documentation [1]. In short, it is generally safe to
assume that older clients will work unless otherwise noted.

A 2.15.0 client should work fine with a 2.18.0 broker.

Justin

[1]
https://activemq.apache.org/components/artemis/documentation/latest/versions.html