Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de> on 2004/02/21 20:45:23 UTC

Feature request for 1.2: exporting static sites

It is not possible to use 1.2RC2 to create static sites.

Solutions for the relevant problems are currently planned for milestone
1.4. If that is not changed before Lenya 1.2 is released it will
essentially not be usable to create and maintain static sites.

I therefore strongly suggest to move that feature to 1.2 again.

These two bugs are currently known and relevant:
26986 Navigation inconsistent for export of static site
26987 Absolute paths in pages of exported static site

Cheers,
Andreas

Re: Feature request for 1.2: exporting static sites

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
On Feb 23, 2004, at 10:51, Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Upayavira wrote:
>
>> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
>>> You can type
>>>
>>>     ant export -Dpublication=mypub
>>>
>>> to export a publication using the Cocoon CLI.
>> Ah, great.
>> Have you tried the CocoonTask, that is in Cocoon 2.1.3 and later? It
>> enables you to get a lot more configuration stuff into your Ant
>> script.
>> http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/offline/ant.html
>
> Thanks for the hint!
> Stefano wants to clean up the Lenya buildfiles, this
> will certainly help to simplify them even more.

I'm terribly sorry to report that my urgency in using lenya for our
project here at MIT dropped since we decided to stick with a wiki for
now.

With a deadline approaching me, I don't think I'll have time to write
the new build scripts for lenya in a short time.

This means that you should *NOT* wait for me!

Sorry people, I'm really terribly sorry... I wish I could do something
concrete for lenya, I really do, but it's not the right time as my
salary now comes from something else (which is also very cool and
exciting :-)

--
Stefano.

Re: Feature request for 1.2: exporting static sites

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Upayavira wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> What approach are you taking to creating static pages/sites?
>>
>> Have you used/considered using the CLI/CocoonBean? In this context, I
>> would have thought it the most obvious choice.
>

> You can type
>
>     ant export -Dpublication=mypub
>
> to export a publication using the Cocoon CLI.

Ah, great.

Have you tried the CocoonTask, that is in Cocoon 2.1.3 and later? It
enables you to get a lot more configuration stuff into your Ant script.

http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/offline/ant.html

Regards, Upayavira

Re: Null pointer exception when exiting from editor

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
jplejacq@quoininc.com wrote:

>On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 jplejacq@quoininc.com wrote:
>

>>When editing a document and selecting save & exit, the following
>>exception is thrown:
>>
>>  An Error Occurred org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException Failed to
>>  execute pipeline. org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Failed to
>>  execute pipeline.: java.lang.NullPointerException
>>  java.lang.NullPointerException Original Exception:
>>  java.lang.NullPointerException at
>>  org.apache.cocoon.components.source.impl.SitemapSource.init(SitemapSource.java:431)
>>at o
>>

>I'm replying to my own email since I've tracked down the problem.

nice to hear

>It turns out to be a problem with initialization of jisp store used
>by cocoon.  The index files created by cocoon appear to have
>different format across different versions.

good to know

>The solution is to delete the cache-dir/cocoon.dat and
>cache-dir/cocoon.idx files in the servlet work directory after
>stopping the server.

if you use "ant reset" then all files within the cache directory, e.g.

.../jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24-LE-jdk14/work/Standalone/localhost/lenya/...

will be deleted

> Restarting the server will recreate these
>files in the proper format.
>
>I'm not sure if this should become part of the build process since
>its really a deployment issue.  A note of this requirement might be
>useful.

"ant reset" does pretty much do this, but one has to execute
it explicitely and if the "exlude properties" aren't set within the
build.properties,
then one might delete it's own data.

Any suggestions on how to further improve this are very welcome.

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: Null pointer exception when exiting from editor

Posted by jp...@quoininc.com.
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 jplejacq@quoininc.com wrote:

> When editing a document and selecting save & exit, the following
> exception is thrown:
>
>   An Error Occurred org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException Failed to
>   execute pipeline. org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Failed to
>   execute pipeline.: java.lang.NullPointerException
>   java.lang.NullPointerException Original Exception:
>   java.lang.NullPointerException at
>   org.apache.cocoon.components.source.impl.SitemapSource.init(SitemapSource.java:431)
> at o

I'm replying to my own email since I've tracked down the problem.
It turns out to be a problem with initialization of jisp store used
by cocoon.  The index files created by cocoon appear to have
different format across different versions.

The solution is to delete the cache-dir/cocoon.dat and
cache-dir/cocoon.idx files in the servlet work directory after
stopping the server.  Restarting the server will recreate these
files in the proper format.

I'm not sure if this should become part of the build process since
its really a deployment issue.  A note of this requirement might be
useful.

--
JP

Null pointer exception when exiting from editor

Posted by jp...@quoininc.com.
My environment:
  cocoon      2.1.4
  lenya       cvs head
  tomcat      4.1.29
  bxe         0.9.1  (other editors have same problem)

I've already entered a defect (27131) about this.  I wanted to
confirm if other folks are seeing the same behavior.

When editing a document and selecting save & exit, the following
exception is thrown:

  An Error Occurred org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException Failed to
  execute pipeline. org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Failed to
  execute pipeline.: java.lang.NullPointerException
  java.lang.NullPointerException Original Exception:
  java.lang.NullPointerException at
  org.apache.cocoon.components.source.impl.SitemapSource.init(SitemapSource.java:431)
at o

If I reload the document, I get another exception:

  An Error Occurred org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException Could not
  read resource
  cocoon://default/lenyabody-view/default/authoring/xhtml/index.html
  org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Could not read resource
  cocoon://default/lenyabody-view/default/authoring/xhtml/index.html:
  java.lang.NullPointerException java.lang.NullPointerException
  Original Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException at
  org.apache.excalibur.store.impl.AbstractJispFilesystemStore.doGetSize(AbstractJispFilesystemStore.java:330)
at
  org.apache.excalibur.store.impl.AbstractReadWriteStore.remove(AbstractReadWriteStore.java:226)
at
  org.apache.excalibur.store.impl.MRUMemoryStore.remove(MRUMemoryStore.java:327)
at
  org.apache.cocoon.caching.impl.CacheImpl.remove(CacheImpl.java:150)
at
  org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.impl.AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline.validatePipeline(AbstractCachingProcessingPipeline.java:599)
at

If I reload again, the document, with the edits, appears.  If I try
to enter the editor again, bxe gives this error message.

  no 'body' element found in your external XHTML document.

Checking the xml file in the content shows that it does have the
body element and the edit changes.  I have to restart tomcat to be
able to edit this document again.  Probably a bad cache.

Anyone else see this?  Any pointers about how to diagnosis and fix
this?

--
JP

Re: Feature request for 1.2: exporting static sites

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

[...]

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 13:32, Upayavira wrote:

> >>that seems like an excellent idea. currently we use a class wget. would
> >>be a good intro project for someone to tackle..
> >>

> >...indeed....ehem....maybe I can have a look at it?!
> >

> Do.
>
> In fact, what you're probably going to be using the CocoonBean rather
> than the CLI, if you're working from within Java code. But look at
> either o.a.c.Main.java, or o.a.c.CocoonTask.java for code that uses the
> CocoonBean.

I will do so.

> Do you want to be able to trigger a site generation from within a
> webapp? Is that what you need to do?

I think so.

> That's not something that anyone
> has worked on yet, AFAIK - i.e. running a Cocoon within another Cocoon.
> There have been ideas discussed, but nothing done yet.

Maybe this is not needed. We could decouple CLI from cocoon bean a
little bit. I.e. we could use a kind of cocoon bean proxy which decides
to connect VM internal or from outside, thus using direct the cocoon
bean. At least the export functionality should use a kind of proxy. Why
start another cocoon, if one is already running?

At the mom I know the CLI code to little. I just had small looks to it
while hunting some bugs for a website the otherday.

> The main issue there is when the site generation takes a while. How do
> you keep the user informed about progress? How do you handle timeouts? I
> would prefer to return something to the user directly, and then run the
> site generation in the background.

Maybe via email notifications which should be used for workflow in
general, imho.

WDYT?

    Rolf Kulemann

Re: Feature request for 1.2: exporting static sites

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Rolf Kulemann wrote:

>>>Thats what I thought, too. When I started using cocoon the CLI was the
>>>first thing I tried to export to static and it did what I wanted.
>>>
>>>AFAIK, the CLI is very flexible to export to static. I.e. features like
>>>default-url and confirm-extensions are very useful.
>>>
>>>I wonder what the others think about using CLI.
>>>

>>that seems like an excellent idea. currently we use a class wget. would
>>be a good intro project for someone to tackle..
>>

>...indeed....ehem....maybe I can have a look at it?!

Do.

In fact, what you're probably going to be using the CocoonBean rather
than the CLI, if you're working from within Java code. But look at
either o.a.c.Main.java, or o.a.c.CocoonTask.java for code that uses the
CocoonBean.

Do you want to be able to trigger a site generation from within a
webapp? Is that what you need to do? That's not something that anyone
has worked on yet, AFAIK - i.e. running a Cocoon within another Cocoon.
There have been ideas discussed, but nothing done yet.

The main issue there is when the site generation takes a while. How do
you keep the user informed about progress? How do you handle timeouts? I
would prefer to return something to the user directly, and then run the
site generation in the background.

All make sense?

Upayavira

Re: Feature request for 1.2: exporting static sites

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya

Re: Feature request for 1.2: exporting static sites

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Rolf Kulemann wrote:

>>What approach are you taking to creating static pages/sites?
>>
>>Have you used/considered using the CLI/CocoonBean? In this context, I
>>would have thought it the most obvious choice.
>>

>Thats what I thought, too. When I started using cocoon the CLI was the
>first thing I tried to export to static and it did what I wanted.
>
>AFAIK, the CLI is very flexible to export to static. I.e. features like
>default-url and confirm-extensions are very useful.
>
>I wonder what the others think about using CLI.

If the Cocoon CLI is doing the job then it makes certainly sense to switch.

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: Feature request for 1.2: exporting static sites

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Kuckartz wrote:

>>I think (2) should also be working for 1.2
>>

>For the "default" publication the newly created or edited documents are
>exported correctly. The problem is that the navigation parts of the other
>pages are not updated. There are no links to the new pages from the old
>ones.
>
>Complete updates can involve all other pages. I am not sure that exporting
>during publishing is a reasonable point to do that.

one would have to patch the publish screen, where the dependencies
on the sitetree are resolved and all corresponding pages would be listed
for export.

it's indeed a default publication related feature request and certainly
makes sense if one wants to use static pages.

Michi

>Andreas

Michael Wechner

Re: Feature request for 1.2: exporting static sites

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Kuckartz wrote:

>Michael Wechner wrote:
>

>>basically I agree, but I don't fully understand what the bugs are
>>referring to:
>>
>>1) Export of Live area: "ant export"
>>
>>or
>>
>>2) Export of a document during Publishing
>>
>>?
>>

>2) is the problem.

I think (2) should also be working for 1.2

Michi

>I was not aware of option 1). I will try that. If that works I am
>completely satisfied.
>
>Cheers,
>Andreas

Michael Wechner

Re: Feature request for 1.2: exporting static sites

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

> basically I agree, but I don't fully understand what the bugs are
> referring to:
>
> 1) Export of Live area: "ant export"
>
> or
>
> 2) Export of a document during Publishing
>
> ?

2) is the problem.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Kuckartz wrote:

>It is not possible to use 1.2RC2 to create static sites.
>
>Solutions for the relevant problems are currently planned for milestone
>1.4. If that is not changed before Lenya 1.2 is released it will
>essentially not be usable to create and maintain static sites.
>
>I therefore strongly suggest to move that feature to 1.2 again.
>
>These two bugs are currently known and relevant:
>26986 Navigation inconsistent for export of static site
>26987 Absolute paths in pages of exported static site

basically I agree, but I don't fully understand what the bugs are
referring to:

1) Export of Live area: "ant export"

or

2) Export of a document during Publishing

?

Maybe we could also fix these bugs during 1.2.x ...

Thanks

Michi

>Cheers,
>Andreas