Posted to dev@santuario.apache.org by Joris Wijlens <jo...@whitehorses.nl> on 2004/09/30 22:15:12 UTC

jdk1.3 compatability

Hi,

Is version 1.2 still going to be compatible with jre 1.3. I tried to
compile HEAD from CVS (30-sep-2004) with a sdk 1.3 compiler and got
these messages:

[javac]
D:\workspace\xml_sec_cvs\src\org\apache\xml\security\c14n\implementations\CanonicalizerBase.java:82:
cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : constructor RuntimeException
(java.lang.String,java.lang.Exception)
    [javac] location: class java.lang.RuntimeException
    [javac] throw new RuntimeException("Unable to create nullNode",e);
    [javac] ^
    [javac]
D:\workspace\xml_sec_cvs\src\org\apache\xml\security\signature\SignedInfo.java:275:
cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : constructor RuntimeException  (java.io.IOException)
    [javac] location: class java.lang.RuntimeException
    [javac] throw new RuntimeException(e);
    [javac] ^
    [javac]
D:\workspace\xml_sec_cvs\src\org\apache\xml\security\utils\CachedXPathFuncHereAPI.java:340:
cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : constructor RuntimeException
(java.lang.String,javax.xml.transform.TransformerException)
    [javac] location: class java.lang.RuntimeException
    [javac] throw new
RuntimeException(I18n.translate("endorsed.jdk1.4.0"),ex);
    [javac] ^
    [javac]
D:\workspace\xml_sec_cvs\src\org\apache\xml\security\utils\SignerOutputStream.java:49:
cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : constructor RuntimeException
(org.apache.xml.security.signature.XMLSignatureException)
    [javac] location: class java.lang.RuntimeException
    [javac] throw new RuntimeException(e);
    [javac] ^
    [javac]
D:\workspace\xml_sec_cvs\src\org\apache\xml\security\utils\SignerOutputStream.java:58:
cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : constructor RuntimeException
(org.apache.xml.security.signature.XMLSignatureException)
    [javac] location: class java.lang.RuntimeException
    [javac] throw new RuntimeException(e);
    [javac] ^
    [javac]
D:\workspace\xml_sec_cvs\src\org\apache\xml\security\utils\SignerOutputStream.java:68:
cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : constructor RuntimeException
(org.apache.xml.security.signature.XMLSignatureException)
    [javac] location: class java.lang.RuntimeException
    [javac] throw new RuntimeException(e);
    [javac] ^
    [javac] 6 errors

Thanks,

Joris Wijlens

Whitehorses B.V.
Dukatenburg 84a, Nieuwegein, +31 (0)30 - 600 4720
Malburgse Sluis 27, Arnhem, +31 (0)26 - 322 6900
Mobiel: +31 (0)6 - 5200 2532

Meer weten over nieuwe en interessante Oracle en Java ontwikkelingen?
Wat ze voor u betekenen en wat u er aan heeft?
Lees dan onze maandelijkse Whitebooks op www.whitehorses.nl.

Re: Request to remove from email list. Thanks.

Posted by "B. Mak" <bk...@rogers.com>.
Hi,

Please remove my email address from your email list.  Thanks.

Regards,
bkl.mak@rogers.com

Re: jdk1.3 compatability

Posted by Raul Benito <ra...@r-bg.com>.

Re: jdk1.3 compatability

Posted by Vishal Mahajan <Vi...@Sun.COM>.
Berin Lautenbach wrote:

> OK - I've tested with 1.3 and I get the following :
>
> - All Encryption tests get skipped, with an error about algorithm not
> supported.  Now that's possibly true in 1.3 but see below.
> - All Signature tests pass *except* anything with a SHA1 HMAC -
> something about algorithm not found.  Now I would have thought SHA1
> HMACs would work with 1.3?
>
> So I then moved to a 1.4 JDK and get :
>
> - All encryption tests get skipped as for 1.3.  That's *not* good -
> I'll have a look this arvo to see what I can come up with.

It might be because JDK 1.4 didn't support some encryption algorithms.
Did you try in presence of some third party provider?

> - All Signature tests pass - should HMAC SHA1 be supported in 1.3?

Not sure about this.

Vishal

> Cheers,
>     Berin
>
> Raul Benito wrote:
>
>> Berin Lautenbach wrote:
>>
>>> I'd say +1 as well - but that means we need to fix this prior to
>>> creating a new package.  So I'd say go for a simple fix.
>>>
>>> Sound reasonable?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>     Berin
>>>
>> I've just commit the simple fix but as I don't manage to install a
>> jdk1.3 in my gentoo, can someone test if everything compiles ok.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Raul
>> http://r-bg.com

Re: jdk1.3 compatability

Posted by ra...@r-bg.com.
On 10/10/2004, at 1:32, Berin Lautenbach wrote:

> OK - I've tested with 1.3 and I get the following :
>
> - All Encryption tests get skipped, with an error about algorithm not
> supported.  Now that's possibly true in 1.3 but see below.
> - All Signature tests pass *except* anything with a SHA1 HMAC -
> something about algorithm not found.  Now I would have thought SHA1
> HMACs would work with 1.3?
>
> So I then moved to a 1.4 JDK and get :
>
> - All encryption tests get skipped as for 1.3.  That's *not* good -
> I'll have a look this arvo to see what I can come up with.
> - All Signature tests pass - should HMAC SHA1 be supported in 1.3?
>
> Cheers,
> 	Berin
I have investigate and it doesn't seem to be related to the jdk1.3
patch (it just change the way some exceptions are created). It seems
more related to the previous patch to remove the JCEMappings I will
investigate a little more and I will tell you.

Regards,

Raul

Re: jdk1.3 compatability

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.

Re: jdk1.3 compatability

Posted by Raul Benito <ra...@r-bg.com>.

Re: jdk1.3 compatability

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.

Re: jdk1.3 compatability

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Raul,

RE: jdk1.3 compatibility

Posted by Philippe Ombredanne <po...@nexb.com>.
jdk 1.3 support
-1
with Java 5.0 just released, I am not sure it is worth the effort to
support 1.3.
as far as we are concerned we will be migrating all our code to java5
after the next release starting in a couple week.
I would rather have clean java5 support than java1.3 support....
May be Joris Wijlens could be interested in writing, and maintaining the
JDK 1.3 support him/herself?
;-)

--
Cheers
Philippe

philippe ombredanne | nexB - Open IT Asset Management
1 650 799 0949 | pombredanne at nexb.com
http://www.nexb.com

Re: jdk1.3 compatability

Posted by ra...@r-bg.com.