Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Puneet Agarwal <pu...@techie.com> on 2002/12/13 14:16:54 UTC

how to avoid 304 for .js files

We recently developed an application using struts on tomcat.

We have a problem at network round trip end.

This is because even if the included JavaScripts/css/gif/jpeg  files,
are all cached, still it checks for the last modified time with the
web server and makes a round trip.

When I searched for a solution to this problem, I came to know that
HTTP specification provides a way for this, and that is:
to specify the expiers tag in HTTP Header.

But this has to be done against particular MIME types because the
HTTP header applies to the payload only not to the cached
JavaScript/CSS files.

Can someone please tell us how to configuer this in TOMCAT

I have observed over the internet that almost all good sites somehow
have been able to manage to set this expires tag for all cached
files.

Regards
Puneet Agarwal

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup