Posted to user@tika.apache.org by Tom Barber <to...@spicule.co.uk> on 2017/06/05 21:41:29 UTC

Tika Snap packages

Hello folks,

Following up on a post over on the dev list this morning I got around to
publishing some snap packages for Tika that I've been tinkering with for a
couple of months.

For those(most) of you who don't know about Snap packages, they allow
applications to run confined from one another offering greater security
over traditional package formats, similarly they allow automated upgrades
and rollbacks to newer versions. Lastly, they are supported (to various
degrees of usefulness) on a few different platforms including Ubuntu,
Debian, Centos, Fedora and a few others which obviously makes cross
platform deployments a bit easier.

Anyway with that out of the way, those of you who use Ubuntu Xenial or
later can do

sudo apt install snapd

followed by

sudo snap install tika-server
or
sudo snap install tika-app

because I've just been using them for some internal stuff I've not yet got
around to plugging them into extra applications which will require some
tinkering to allow communications across different applications but if
people have questions, comments or suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

Tom

Re: Tika Snap packages

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org>.
Tom yes, would love to have these in the sources here at Apache Tika..a PR would be welcomed.
Also any reason not to include other packages, e.g., if we have Tika-Server, why not include e.g.,
tika-python? I realize tika-python is external to the ASF, but it’s ALv2 licensed, etc etc.

Cheers,

Chris

From: Tom Barber <to...@spicule.co.uk>
Date: Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 1:28 PM
To: Konstantin Gribov <gr...@gmail.com>, "user@tika.apache.org" <us...@tika.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Tika Snap packages

Hey Konstantin

Sorry, thought my reply to the mailer sorted out the subscription but it got messed up somewhere, subscribed now.

Happy to help and contribute something we've been useful back upstream.

The build was off master as I was testing some stuff, but I can realign it to use 1.15 stable, I'll do that tomorrow.

I have the scripts in my local Tika fork, would you like a PR? I'm happy either way they are only small yaml files.

You are correct about the confinement currently, but the chaps at canonical are working on adding SELinux rules to Snapd to provide confinement on Redhat based OSes soon(ish).

Tom

On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 5:23 PM, Konstantin Gribov <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Tom, I'm not sure that you're subscribed to user@tika.a.o, so I forwarding my answer since "reply all" failed to include your email automatically.

P. S. I was unaware that you're the ASF and OODT PMC member when wrote an answer. Inter-project collaboration seems to be one of Apache strengths by itself, so I'm glad to find people from other projects using Tika and making it better ,)

Posted by Tom Barber <to...@spicule.co.uk>.
Hey Konstantin

Re: Tika Snap packages

Posted by Konstantin Gribov <gr...@gmail.com>.