Posted to dev@chemistry.apache.org by Florian Müller <fm...@apache.org> on 2013/06/03 14:03:14 UTC

Re: Services without a clearly defined Permission Mapping filter

 Hi Jaime Porras,

 The Permission Mapping is a hint for sophisticated clients and not
 necessarily the whole truth. A repository can have individual rules for
 each object that overrule the Permission Mapping.
 A best practice for clients is to check the Allowable Actions of an
 object and if they allow the action, just try it and catch a potential
 exception.
 Sophisticated clients that want, for example, disable buttons in a user
 interface could combine the Allowable Actions and the Permission
 Mapping.

 Since the specification does not cover the cases you have mentioned, I
 can only provide my personal view.

 Re 1.1)
 If the Allowable Action "canGetChildren" is set, the user can call
 getCheckedOutDocs for this folder.

 Re 2.1)
 createDocument and createDocumentFromSource follow the same rules. To
 create a document from another document the user must additionally have
 read permissions (Allowable Actions "canGetProperties" and
 "canGetContentStream") on the source document.

 Re 2.2)
 The spec doesn't provide any help for clients. They have to try it and
 catch a potential exception.

 Re 2.3)
 If an object is visible to a user (Allowable Actions
 "canGetProperties"), the user can also get the Allowable Actions.

 Re 2.4)
 If and which renditions are visible to a user is repository specific.
 There could be complex permission and rule sets, that are invisible
 through CMIS.
 If the repository doesn't want to expose renditions to a specific user,
 it should return an empty list.

 Re 3)
 A query should return all objects that a user could also retrieve via
 getObject().
 In short:
 If getObject("id123") returns a document object, then "SELECT * FROM
 cmis:document WHERE cmis:objectId='id123'" should return the same
 document object.

 Re 4.1 an 4.2)
 The latest object of a version series is just another object and
 covered by "canGetProperties".

 - Florian