Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/08 03:52:03 UTC

Re: svn commit: r993574 - in /commons/proper/math: branches/MATH_2_X/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math/exception/util/ branches/MATH_2_X/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/math/stat/regression/ branches/MATH_2_X/src/main/resources/META-INF/localization/ ...

On 9/7/10 9:24 PM, psteitz@apache.org wrote:
> Author: psteitz
> Date: Wed Sep  8 01:24:51 2010
> New Revision: 993574

> Log:
> * Modified multiple regression newSample methods to ensure that by default in all cases,
>    regression models are estimated with intercept terms.  Prior to the fix for this issue,
>    newXSampleData(double[][]), newSampleData(double[], double[][]) and
>    newSampleData(double[], double[][], double[][]) all required columns of "1's"
>    to be inserted into the x[][] arrays to create a model with an intercept term;
>    while newSampleData(double[], int, int) created a model including an intercept
>    term without requiring the unitary column.  All methods have  been changed to
>    eliminate the need for users to add unitary columns to specify regression models.
> * Improved javadoc
> * Improved tests
> JIRA: MATH-411

I agonized over handling the behavior change here via deprecation +
adding new methods.  If the old behavior was documented, I would
have done that; but when you combine the fact that the documentation
was so poor (still needs work, but it is better now) and the
non-trivial tests all use the "correct" (intercept included) method,
I thought it was best to make the behavior consistent, document the
change in the release notes, and show how to get the no intercept
behavior once MATH-409 is fixed.  If anyone feels strongly that we
should go the add new methods and deprecate route (making an
arguably already overly complicated API even more complicated), I
can revert this change and do that for the 2_x branch.

Phil