Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Noah <ad...@enabled.com> on 2008/01/08 08:31:00 UTC

spamd: still running as root:

Hi there,

how do I track down and correct the following error.  I have
spamassassin install on a FreeBSD machine.

Jan  7 23:29:26 typhoon spamd[62450]: spamd: still running as root: user
not specified with -u, not found, or set to root, falling back to nobody

# pkg_info | grep Spam
p5-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.3 A highly efficient mail filter for
identifying spam
spamass-milter-0.3.1_3 Sendmail Milter (mail filter) plugin for SpamAssassin

Re: spamd: still running as root:

Posted by Duane Hill <d....@yournetplus.com>.
On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 23:31:00 -0800
Noah <ad...@enabled.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> how do I track down and correct the following error.  I have
> spamassassin install on a FreeBSD machine.
>
> Jan  7 23:29:26 typhoon spamd[62450]: spamd: still running as root:
> user not specified with -u, not found, or set to root, falling back
> to nobody
>

> # pkg_info | grep Spam
> p5-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.3 A highly efficient mail filter for
> identifying spam
> spamass-milter-0.3.1_3 Sendmail Milter (mail filter) plugin for
> SpamAssassin

How do you have SA defined in /etc/rc.conf? Here's how I have it set
for our environment:

spamd_enable="YES"
spamd_flags="--username=spamd --groupname=spamd --min-children=8
--max-children=32 --min-spare=16 --max-spare=24 --sql-config
--nouser-config"

-------
  _|_
 (_| |

Re: spamd: still running as root:

Posted by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>.
Noah wrote:

> how do I track down and correct the following error.  I have
> spamassassin install on a FreeBSD machine.
>
> Jan  7 23:29:26 typhoon spamd[62450]: spamd: still running as root:
> user not specified with -u, not found, or set to root, falling back to
> nobody

Find out where spamd is being started, and correct the arguments.  I'm
not familiar with BSD, but on an opensuse machine, you'd look
at /etc/init.d/spamd and /etc/sysconfig/spamd.

/Per Jessen, Zürich