Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Christian Goetze <ch...@sensage.com> on 2006/12/12 20:02:52 UTC

How to invoke mvn to not do the reactor build?

Is there an option to disable the reactor build when invoking maven from
the project parent? All I want is the installed pom, nothing else.

Background:

I need to embed maven into a larger build system, and I would like to be
more specific about which parts of a project need rebuilding. My plan is
therefore to generate dependencies from the pom.xml files and to have my
build system invoke maven directly in the module subdirs. The subdir
builds require that the parent pom.xml be installed. I can live with
that as long as that is the only thing that happens.

The reason I wish to be specific is to support incremental product
builds and tests. I don't want every change to the java source to
trigger all java related rebuilds, packings, installs and test runs, but
only the ones specifically including the derived objects generated by
the change.

As it turns out, it is probably not a big deal if there is no way to
disable the reactor build, since the parent pom.xml will only be out of
date when it changes, in which case everything needs to be rebuilt
anyway. The only issue is that in my scenario, maven will end up
scanning every module tree at least twice...
--
cg

Re: How to invoke mvn to not do the reactor build?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 12/12/06, Christian Goetze <ch...@sensage.com> wrote:

> Is there an option to disable the reactor build when invoking maven from
> the project parent? All I want is the installed pom, nothing else.

$ mvn -help
-N, --non-recursive    Do not recurse into sub-projects

So 'mvn install -N' will install just the top-level project, which in
your case is the parent pom.

--
Wendy