Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Matt Juntunen <ma...@hotmail.com> on 2020/06/29 18:49:10 UTC

[geometry] 3D Model License

Hello,

I'm adding an OBJ model file of the Utah teapot [1] (a standard 3D test model) to the project for use in unit tests and code examples. The file I used was generated by Nate Morrical at the University of Utah [2] from the original surface descriptions from Martin Newell in 1975. Neither the files from Nate nor the original surface descriptions include a license. I reached out to Nate about using his model in the project and he suggested that the license is CCO [3], i.e. public domain, but that I should check with SIGGRAPH to verify since they host the original files. I've emailed SIGGRAPH but I'm not very optimistic about getting a reply.

 Does anyone know how to add a proper license and attribution for this file in the project? Where does it need to go? If it truly is in the public domain, do I need to even add anything? RAT does not complain since it treats the file as binary.

Regards,
Matt J

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_teapot
[2] https://www.cs.utah.edu/~natevm/newell_teaset/newell_teaset.zip
[3] https://creativecommons.org/share-your-work/public-domain/cc0/

Re: [geometry] 3D Model License

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Please ask on @legal.

Gary

Posted by Matt Juntunen <ma...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks. I've created LEGAL-525 [1]. The file is only in my github dev branch for now. I'll hold off on merging until this is resolved.

-Matt

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/LEGAL/issues/LEGAL-525

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.