Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com> on 2004/07/12 15:23:49 UTC

Re: maven test release

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:13:30 +1000, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> Absolutely. You're welcome to try and convince me/the list otherwise on it... I
> just feel that its not a must-have feature for 1.0. We're getting patches almost
> daily now, and we'd never cut a release if all of them were applied first. Just
> drawing a line in the sand :)
>
> > > Sound reasonable? Let me know how testing goes.

The reasons I think for including source jars in Maven 1.0

1) Projects whose license require distribution of the source can do so
via the same means as the binary.
2) Jars created by Maven can be 'IDE Debug Friendly'. This allows
users to step through code in the jars during debugging sessions with
no extra download and little extra configuration.
3) Its a simple change, with test cases
and
4) It's been requested before, e.g.
a) http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=users@maven.apache.org&msgId=808912
b)
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=users@maven.apache.org&msgId=809540

That's my 2c. Does anyone else feel that it's a must have feature for 1.0?

Re: maven test release

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
It's currently in v1.6.1-SNAPSHOT of the jar plugin. Which could be
built from CVS.

Re: maven test release

Posted by Jerome Lacoste <je...@coffeebreaks.org>.

Re: maven test release

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, sorry I missed the issue altogether here. I agree with the
general consensus on the thread that this is a bad thing.

I thought MPJAR-32 was to create source JAR as well. Serves me right
for not really reading the issue - at the time I was more passionate
about keeping (controversial) new features out of Maven 1.0 given I
want to release it yesterday :)

Sorry that the effort was wasted dIon.

Cheers,
Brett

Re: maven test release

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
I've rolled the code back out.

RE: maven test release

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ap...@carlos.cousas.net>.
Hi,

IMHO a sources are needed but I agree with jvz and see it more clear in a
separate artifact type.
Think that javadoc may be also needed and end up with all these in a binary
jar is not a good idea.

The folks at mevenide only have to add a check so if the source file is
present in the repository add it as source artifact. The same for a javadoc
artifact.

Regards

Carlos Sanchez
A Coruña, Spain

Oness Project
http://oness.sourceforge.net

Re: maven test release

Posted by David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>.

FWIW
> Source archive available for every artifact:
>
> +1
+1

> Mixing in the sources with the standard JAR:
>
> -1
-100

david jencks

Re: maven test release

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.

Re: maven test release

Posted by Michal Maczka <mm...@interia.pl>.
On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 17:10, Dion Gillard wrote:

> For each L/GPL jar that gets distributed, the license says the source
> must accompany the binaries. I get the feeling ibiblio is illegally
> distributing jars like checkstyle because there is no source provided
> with the binaries, and Maven simply downloads the jar.

AFAIK: LGPL/GPL requires much more - you must provide sources and all
other artifacts (e.g other jars which might not be in ibiblio) + build
scripts which are needed to compile given project. So bundling java
sources inside a jar buys you nothing. And I do agree with jason: we
need just another artifact type for distributing java sources.

Michal

Re: maven test release

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.

Re: maven test release