Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Dan Bolser <db...@ebi.ac.uk> on 2013/10/02 13:32:47 UTC

Configure Solr to use http proxy for querying shards?

Hi,

I'm running my Solr server on a box which can only see 'the web' via
an http proxy. For most applications it's as simple as setting
http_proxy in the shell environment to get them to see the 'the web'.
However, this isn't working for Solr.

The reason this is an issue is because my Solr server is configured to
perform a sharded query across multiple sites on the web, i.e. I have
this in my solrconfig.xml:

  <requestHandler name="pinkPony" class="solr.SearchHandler"
default="true" startup="lazy">
    <lst name="defaults">
      <!-- Add our shard servers... -->
      <str name="shards">site.out.there/solr/core,etc.like.this/solr/core</str>
      <!-- Print a summary of results per shard -->
      <str name="shards.info">true</str>

When I try to run a query against my server running on this box, I get
the following errors:
"error":"org.apache.http.conn.HttpHostConnectException: Connection to
http://sites.out.there refused",
      "trace":"...

Can I get Solr to use the http proxy, or am I stuck?

Cheers,
Dan.

Re: Configure Solr to use http proxy for querying shards?

Posted by Dan Bolser <db...@ebi.ac.uk>.
In answer to my own question (with help from steffkes in IRC):

Solr doesn't allow for proxy configuration, however, you can configure
the proxy used by the JVM, and Solr uses the
'SystemDefaultHttpClient', i.e.

java -jar start.jar\
  -Dhttp.proxyHost=our.proxy.boxy -Dhttp.proxyPort=8080

Cheers,
Dan.