Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Edward Sargisson <ed...@globalrelay.net> on 2012/08/23 20:47:38 UTC

Node forgets about most of its column families

Hi all,
I was wondering if anybody had seen the following behaviour before and
how we might detect it and keep the application running.

We have a 6 node cluster. It seems that one of these nodes forgot about
all but one of the application column families - possibly after a
restart. Then, when our application connects using Hector, it can't find
any data so gives back an exception.

I'm currently running nodetool repair on one of the *other* nodes which
is taking a very long time to complete. (35mins and counting a load of <9MB)

The  logs from the failing node say:
  INFO [MemoryMeter:1] 2012-08-23 14:59:14,807 Memtable.java (line 213)
CFS(Keyspace='system', ColumnFamily='HintsColumnFamily') liveRatio is
1.1219167666485013 (just-counted was 1.0).  calculation took 28ms for
1252 columns
  INFO [main] 2012-08-23 14:59:14,949 CommitLogReplayer.java (line 272)
Finished reading /var/lib/cassandra/commitlog/CommitLog-22654969122258
24.log
  INFO [main] 2012-08-23 14:59:14,950 CommitLogReplayer.java (line 103)
Skipped 8216 mutations from unknown (probably removed) CF with id 1016
  INFO [main] 2012-08-23 14:59:14,950 CommitLogReplayer.java (line 103)
Skipped 3013 mutations from unknown (probably removed) CF with id 1017

... and so on.

Hector is saying:
InvalidRequestException(why:unconfigured columnfamily user_conversations)

Thanks for any comments or advice,
Edward

--

Edward Sargisson

senior java developer
Global Relay

edward.sargisson@globalrelay.net <ma...@globalrelay.net>

*866.484.6630*
New York | Chicago | Vancouver | London (+44.0800.032.9829) | Singapore
(+65.3158.1301)

Global Relay Archive supports email, instant messaging, BlackBerry,
Bloomberg, Thomson Reuters, Pivot, YellowJacket, LinkedIn, Twitter,
Facebook and more.

Ask about *Global Relay Message*
<http://www.globalrelay.com/services/message>*--- *The Future of
Collaboration in the Financial Services World

*
*All email sent to or from this address will be retained by Global
Relay's email archiving system. This message is intended only for the
use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law.  Global Relay will not be liable for
any compliance or technical information provided herein. All trademarks
are the property of their respective owners.

Re: Node forgets about most of its column families

Posted by Peter Schuller <pe...@infidyne.com>.
> This is 1.1.X ?

Yeah. Post-1.1 release 1.1, a couple of months old w.r.t. upstream changes.

> Any thoughts on how recent the last schema change was ?

I believe a long time ago. Like weeks or more. Definitely not around
the time of the incident.

The first time I saw this happen after running scrub (triggered due to
upgrade from 0.8 -> 1.1 requiring scrub due to 0.8 bloom filter bug),
but later it happened on a regular restart on a post-upgraded system.

Haven't seen it on a cluster that hasn't been upgraded from 0.8, but
then I only saw it on one cluster so that is not a statistically
significant sample.

> Had the schema started in a pre 1.1X cluster? If so had their been a
> migration change after 1.1 upgrade?

Schema started on 0.8, no change after upgrade to 1.1. This triggered
on the very first node I ever ran scrub on in fact immediately after
the scrub (validation restart for paranoia after scrub), so there was
no opportunity to submit any schema change (due to mixed 0.8/1.1
cluster at the time).

--
/ Peter Schuller (@scode, http://worldmodscode.wordpress.com)

Re: Node forgets about most of its column families

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
Thanks Peter.

This is 1.1.X ?

Any thoughts on how recent the last schema change was ?
Had the schema started in a pre 1.1X cluster? If so had their been a migration change after 1.1 upgrade?

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
For those playing along at home Edwards ticket was marked as a dup of

Problem with creating keyspace after drop

Cheers

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Developer
@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

Posted by Edward Sargisson <ed...@globalrelay.net>.
Hi Aaron,

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.

Posted by Edward Sargisson <ed...@globalrelay.net>.

Posted by Edward Sargisson <ed...@globalrelay.net>.

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.

Posted by Edward Sargisson <ed...@globalrelay.net>.

Posted by Rob Coli <rc...@palominodb.com>.
<ed...@globalrelay.net> wrote:
> I was wondering if anybody had seen the following behaviour before and how
> we might detect it and keep the application running.

I don't know the answer to your problem, but anyone who does will want
to know in what version of Cassandra you are encountering this issue.
:)

=Rob

--
=Robert Coli